Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 14, 2018-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Eight labourers injured after falling from 18-storey high scaffolding in Thane

The workers were in the process of removing the scaffolding which was installed two years ago to carry out maintenance work of the Runwal Garden City in Balkum. It had worn off and rusted.

mumbai Updated: Oct 29, 2018 20:59 IST
Megha Pol & Priyanka Dhomse
Megha Pol & Priyanka Dhomse
Hindustan Times, Mumbai
Scaffolding,Thane,Fall
The collapsed scaffolding at Runwal Garden City in Balkum of Thane on Monday.(Praful Gangurde/ Hindustan Times)

Eight labourers were injured after a scaffolding of an 18-storey building in Thane, on which they were standing on different floors, fell on Monday.

The labourers were in the process of removing the scaffolding which was installed two years ago to carry out maintenance work of the Runwal Garden City in Balkum.

“The bamboo of the scaffolding had rot and the ropes used to tie it were worn out. The scaffolding came off when the workers climbed over it,” said Santosh Kadam, chief of regional disaster management cell, Thane Municipal Corporation.

All the labourers were getting down from the terrace of the top floor to the ground from the scaffolding trying to loosen it. They were wearing helmets and safety rope due to which fatalities were avoided.

Around 15 workers were at the site, out of which eight workers were on different floors of the scaffolding.

Those injured include Mohhamad Rakhibulah Shaikh (30), Mohhamad Royal Shaikh (21), Jamal Shaikh (50), Hasan Ali (24), Ektiyaar Yusuf Mohammad (20), Dulal Singh (35), Anil Ansari Shaikh and Manirudhin Shaikh (27).

Six are admitted to private hospital while two are admitted to Civil Hospital. Mohhamad Royal Shaikh and Hasan Ali are serious and are undergoing treatment in ICU.

Maniruddhin Shaikh said, “I was at the ground floor holding the bamboos while eight people were on different floors, second, fourth, fifth, sixth, eight, twelfth and eighteenth. They were trying to get down from the terrace while loosening the knots of the ropes holding the bamboo together. Suddenly the bamboos started falling apart and all of them lost their grip and fell.”

Police registered a case under sections 336, 337, 338 of IPC relating to causing hurt, endangering life and negligence against the contractor, Dada Nana Kumbhar.

“The bamboo scaffolding had worn off and rusted. However, the contractor still did not bother to ensure safety gear was in place and made them climb up. We are taking the statements of the victims to ascertain about safety gears and from where they fell,” K Kharpe, senior police inspector, Kapurbawdi police station said.

The Runwal developers issued a statement saying, “Today while dismantling of scaffolding at Balkum, Thane site by contractors, an incident was reported. Immediate precautions for safety were taken. Seven persons sustained injuries in the incident. The injured were being provided medication at a nearby facility and were reported stable.”

Manisha Deshpande, VP marketing, said, “We had provided the standard safety procedures that were followed. Few workers were on the top floor who were wearing helmets and ropes. However some of them were standing below and got hurt after the scaffolding fell on them. Those standing below were not wearing helmets.”

Residents claimed that the scaffolding was left unattended for almost two years. The building is six years old.

Rakesh Jadhav, a resident, said the scaffolding was installed two years ago to repair the leakages in the building. “We have been demanding that the developer remove the scaffolding for the last two years. However they (contractor) did not bother to remove it and the bamboos rusted due to the rain and heat.”

Ajmal Hussain (35), supervisor of the contractor, said, “We had used the same bamboo material used by several other places and had no accident there. We are not sure what led to the accident, although it is true the bamboos used were old.”

Three days ago three labourers died after suffocating in a sewer chamber in Dombivali owing to negligence.

First Published: Oct 29, 2018 16:14 IST