Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 19, 2018-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Family of six in Mumbai goes on trip, untraceable since Oct 15; daughter-in-law files complaint

Police suspect the family does not want to stay in touch with daughter-in-law who is in Amravati after she delivered a girl; all phones switched off

mumbai Updated: Nov 03, 2017 13:26 IST
Ram Parmar
Ram Parmar
Hindustan Times
Missing family,Girl child,Mumbai crime
Arnala police suspect that the family was unhappy that the woman delivered a girl and has abandoned her.(Photo for representation)

A family of six, who live in Global City in Virar, have been missing since October 15, said police.

Neighbours told police that the family mentioned an upcoming trip to Shirdi, where they were expected to perform the last rites of a relative who died in August. However, all their phones are switched off and they are yet to be traced.

Surendra Sharma, 50, his wife, Malati, 52, daughter Priyanka Sharma, 16, distant relative, Anita Sharma, 60, and her sons, Varun, 40, and Ashwini Sharma, 32, were last seen getting into a car in front of their building.

Varun’s wife Sangeeta told the police that she was unaware of her family’s whereabouts as she was in Amravati, after having delivered her first child.

Arnala police suspect that the family was unhappy that Sangeeta had delivered a girl and so decided to cut contact with her.Sangeeta delivered on June 15 and Varun stayed with her for a fortnight, said police.

In August, Varun’s father died and the family blamed Sangeeta, saying the birth of the girl was a bad omen.

In October, Varun visited Sangeeta in Amravati once again. He returned on October 11 and the last time he called his wife was on October 14. Sangeeta called Varun’s uncle, Satishchandra, who promised to call her but switched off his phone instead.

Sangeeta also told police that she had sent a WhatsApp message to Ashwini, who read it but did not reply.

“Sangeeta, who works at a corporate firm, contacted us. We sent a team to her in-laws’ house, which was locked,” said inspector Keshav Naik, Arnala police.

First Published: Nov 03, 2017 12:17 IST