FYJC admissions: Don’t expect cut-offs to fall in next merit lists in Mumbai colleges
Mumbai city news: Officials say the new rules that allow students to change college preferences and streams will make upcoming rounds unpredictablemumbai Updated: Jul 15, 2017 10:50 IST
Even though cut-offs across Mumbai colleges plunged in the first merit list for first year junior college (FYJC) admissions announced on Tuesday, students are unsure of what to expect in the second, third and fourth rounds. A total of 32, 477 of the 2.3 lakh students who applied in the general category got admissions through quota and 53, 803 got their first preference. This means only 63% students are left to compete in the next rounds.
Despite this, officials warned students that upcoming rounds will be unpredictable — the cut-offs might spike or fall further — owing to new admission rules. These rules allow students to change their college preferences and stream after each round, but there is no betterment of seat, unlike previous years. Officials have advised students to be careful if they plan to give up seats allotted in the first list in the hope of securing better options in upcoming rounds.
“This year, cut-offs in the merit list will not follow any sequence. Till last year, the cut-offs would fall after each list, but this time they might even rise as students switch streams and change preferences,” said BB Chavan, deputy director of education, Mumbai region.
This means that if a college has closed at 80% in the first list, the cut-off might increase to 85% in the second list or fall to 75%. “One of the students who was assigned Ruparel College, his second preference, in the first list asked me if he will get his first preference Podar in the next list, but there is no way to predict what will happen in the next lists this time,” added Chavan.
Students and parents are anxious over the upcoming rounds. They said the rules have made choosing colleges difficult. “I find this admission process extremely confusing and based on chance rather than merit,” said Dheeraj Pandya, a student from Mahim, who secured 81% in SSC exams and was allotted his fourth preference in the first list. “I do not know whether I should stick to the assigned college or try my luck in other rounds. But it means risking losing this seat too,” added Dheeraj.
Parag Thakkar, principal, HR College, said the next list will depend on how many seats are vacant after the first round and the number of students who took the risk of waiting for better seats or played it safe by taking admission to the assigned seats. The first list, which was scheduled to be released at 5pm on Monday, was finally declared at 1am on Tuesday, after several delays.
First Published: Jul 12, 2017 08:45 IST