Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 20, 2018-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Indian travellers avoid holiday packages, prefer booking flights and hotels separately: travel portal survey

The Expedia survey also indicated that only 21.6% of Indians would bundle their flight and hotel

mumbai Updated: Aug 26, 2018 00:20 IST
Neha LM Tripathi
Neha LM Tripathi
Hindustan Times
India travel,India holiday packages,Expedia
Although combined travel packages were cheaper, travellers tend to get attracted by discounts offered by airlines and hotels and decide to go for that.

Most Indians — largely couples and solo travellers — prefer to book their flight tickets and hotel stay separately despite good discounts on package bookings. A survey conducted by a travel portal states that 93% Indian travellers book their hotel within a week of booking their flights tickets, while 27% book packages only if they get a discount on their stay.

Expedia, an online travel portal, conducted the online survey among 600 employed adults from May 30 to June 25, 2018, across Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata, Pune, and Hyderabad.

The Expedia survey also indicated that only 21.6% of Indians would bundle their flight and hotel while the rest (78.4%) booked hotels after booking flights in their convenient time, missing out on potential offers.

“Regular travellers who come across a handsome discount tend to quickly grab at the opportunity be it on airfare, hotels or the entire package,” Karan Anand, who heads relationships at Cox and Kings. “Family travellers mostly seek group tour packages. Couples and individual travellers usually book airfares and hotels separately as per the available offers and discounts.”

Neelu Singh, chief executive officer & director of travel portal Ezeego1, said although combined travel packages were cheaper, travellers tend to get attracted by discounts offered by airlines and hotels and decide to go for that.

Manmeet Ahluwalia, marketing head, Expedia-India said Indian travellers ranked third as most frequent fliers with an average of 7.6 flights taken in a year compared to other countries in the Asia-Pacific region.

To encourage travellers to take package deals, and also have enough time to zero in on a hotel of their choice, Expedia has introduced a service to allow travellers a larger window to book hotels separately on discounted prices.

“With our ‘Add-On Advantage’ service, customers will be able to add-on the hotel deal any time after purchasing their flight until the day the trip begins. The hotel stay needs to occur within the travel dates of the flight purchase,” said Ahluwalia.

First Published: Aug 26, 2018 00:20 IST