Sheena Bora murder case: 10 things we know so far
Mumbai city news: The Sheena Bora murder case trial is likely to resume todaymumbai Updated: Jul 04, 2017 11:00 IST
As the Sheena Bora murder case trial is likely to resume today, here are the 10 things we know about the case so far:
1) On April 24, 2012, former INX Media CEO Indrani Mukerjea, ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna and driver Shyamwar Rai allegedly murdered her daughter Sheena Bora. They burnt and dumped the body in Raigad. The murder came to light after Rai spilled the beans in August 2015, when he was arrested in an arms act. Indrani and Khanna were arrested in August 2015. The police later arrested Indrani’s husband Peter Mukerjea in the case.
2) Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her first marriage. She has a son Mikhail, who has accused her of trying to poison him during a visit to Mumbai. The CBI has added attempt to murder charge against her in this case.
3) Indrani, daughter of a well-known businessman in Guwahati, was married twice earlier before she tied the knot with Peter in 2002. Her earlier husbands include Khanna and Siddharth Das from Tripura. Das is said to be Sheena’s biological father.
4) In January 2017, a special CBI court charged Indrani, Peter and Sanjeev Khanna with conspiring, kidnapping, destroying evidence and giving false information apart from murder. The court also charged Indrani, 45, with using forged documents, but dropped charges of cheating, forgery for cheating and causing hurt with poison against the accused.
5) Driver Rai volunteered to be a prosecution witness and was turned an approver. In his confession, which was recorded in Hindi, Rai said Indrani contacted him through her personal assistant, Kajal Sharma, in the last week of March 2012. He said Indrani spoke to him on Skype and revealed her plans to eliminate her two children – Sheena and Mikhail.
6) The police found skeletal remains in a Raigad jungle, where Indrani along her driver and former husband allegedly burned Sheena’s remains. A DNA test confirmed they were Sheena’s remains. The police seized a bag from Indrani’s Worli residence, which they believe was to be used to dump Mikhail’s body.
7) According to the CBI, Peter and Indrani were equal participants in the conspiracy hatched to eliminate Sheena Bora as they both were against her relationship with Peter’s son Rahul. The agency has sited this conversation as one of the circumstance against the two. The agency claimed Indrani and Peter were constantly in touch with each other over phone even when Peter was in London. The CBI said Indrani claimed Peter knew about the murder. After disposing of the body, Indrani spoke to Peter, who was in London, for 924 seconds.
8) Indrani and Peter have been named in a case of criminal conspiracy, cheating and corruption allegedly involving former Union finance minister P Chidambaram’s son Karti. Indrani said she knew the father-son duo, but denied any wrongdoing.
9) Indrani moved a special CBI court in January 2017 seeking permission from the probe agency to divorce Peter. Indrani, who had married Peter in 2002, said she wanted to change her will and donate the money to charity organisations. Peter had met Indrani – who then possessed the Bora surname – at the erstwhile Library Bar of the Hotel Taj President in 2002. They later tied the knot in a quiet affair, with a few close friends and Peter’s family members in attendance.
10) Recently, Indrani was booked along with 200 other inmates for allegedly rioting inside Byculla jail after one of the inmates Manjula Shetye, 38, died after being allegedly assaulted by the jail guards on June 3.
First Published: Jul 04, 2017 11:00 IST