Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 23, 2018-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

12-yr-old kidnapped, rescued in 30 hours

After more than 30 hours of search, the Dombivli police successfully rescued a 12-year-old boy on Friday.

mumbai Updated: Jul 17, 2010 01:59 IST
Kiran Sonawane
Kiran Sonawane
Hindustan Times

After more than 30 hours of search, the Dombivli police successfully rescued a 12-year-old boy on Friday.

Mandar Patil, a Class 6 student of Chandrakant Patakar Vidyalaya in Dombivli (East), was kidnapped from the Dombivli Gymkhana area on Thursday morning.

Joint Commissioner of Police, Thane, Vivek Fansalkar, said: “On Thursday Mandar left his house at 6.30 am and was waiting for the schoolbus when two men aged between 22 to 23 years approached him. They duo told him that they were new to the city and asked him the way to Chandrakant Patakar Vidyalaya as their mother was admitted to a hospital near the school.”

Mandar agreed to accompany them. His father Deepak, who works as deputy engineer with MIDC, Badlapur (division) Thane, registered a complaint with the Manpada police station when Mandar didn’t return home.

“Deputy Commissioner of Police Dattatary Karale immediately asked officials from Thane to Badlapur to form teams and start looking out for the boy,” Fansalkar added.

On Friday, at 9.00 am, Mandar’s father received a call on his cell phone from the kidnapper, who demanded Rs 15 lakh as ransom. The call was traced to a PCO in Mulund.

Patil told the kidnapper that it was impossible to arrange for such a huge amount and that he had Rs 8 lakh ready with him.

The kidnapper called him again at 11.00 am but this time the call was traced to a PCO in Khopoli (Raigad district). The kidnapper asked Patil to come to Badlapur by 11.30 am.

Patil left immediately but the kidnapper called him again and asked to come to Mamnoli village on the Badlapur-Murbad road.

On reaching the location, Deepak threw the bag containing cash as told by the kidnapper. The kidnapper came out from the bushes holding the knife on Mandar’s neck. When police started firing at the kidnapper left the boy and the bag containing money and fled.

This was the fourth case of kidnapping in the area. Out of the three boys kidnapped earlier, two were found dead and one was rescued by the police.

First Published: Jul 17, 2010 01:58 IST