26/11: Pak team takes statement of probe officials
The 8-member Judicial Commission from Pakistan, here to record statements of four key witnesses in the November 26 Mumbai terror attacks case, today took down the versions of the Investigating Officer and two doctors.Updated: Mar 17, 2012 16:33 IST
The 8-member Judicial Commission from Pakistan, here to record statements of four key witnesses in the November 26 Mumbai terror attacks case, on Saturday took down the versions of the Investigating Officer and two doctors (who had conducted post-mortem of victims).
The proceedings were held in-camera before the chief metropolitan magistrate SS Shinde for the second day on Saturday. Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam, who headed the prosecution in 26/11 trial, was also present.
The commission recorded the statement of senior inspector Ramesh Mahale, who had investigated the terror attacks case. Sources said that Mahale told the Commission how the lone surviving Pakistani terrorist, Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, was overpowered by police at Girgaum Chowpatty during the attacks. Mahale also spoke of incidents in which Kasab had shot at people and policemen, killing some and injuring many others.
Mahale also told the Commission that Kasab had disclosed his role in the terror attacks voluntarily, and given a confession before a Magistrate here.
Kasab was awarded death sentence by a Mumbai court and his appeal is pending before the Supreme Court.
Later, the Commission recorded the statements of the two doctors who conducted autopsies of 26/11 victims and the nine slain terrorists, before winding up the proceedings.
The Commission had on Friday recorded the statement of magistrate RV Sawant-Waghule who had taken on record Kasab's confession soon after his arrest. Waghule told the panel that Kasab had confessed to his role in attacks and had said that he and nine others had been sent by Lashkar-e-Taiba to unleash terror in Mumbai.
First Published: Mar 17, 2012 15:43 IST