After Kalbadevi blaze: ‘Timely action by BMC could have averted disasters’
Five years after a proposal was mooted to conduct a ‘physical survey of Mumbai’ to access the structural stability, age, fire resistance and risks that buildings pose in each ward , work in the project is yet to begin.Updated: Jun 04, 2015 23:21 IST
Five years after a proposal was mooted to conduct a ‘physical survey of Mumbai’ to access the structural stability, age, fire resistance and risks that buildings pose in each ward , work in the project is yet to begin.
The survey report would have helped field units such as fire brigade, rescue teams and other emergency services to mitigate disaster situation.
A senior civic official said the project was scrapped because it was very expensive. “The project could not take off because it was very expensive,” he said.
The proposal was cleared in the civic body’s budget and a tender was floated in 2010. However, with only a single bid, the tender was scrapped and the proposal has been in limbo ever since.
After the Kalbadevi blaze, former chief officer of BMC’s disaster management cell, IC Sisodia -- in a letter to CM Devendra Fadnavis -- raised an alarm about the city’s dormant disaster management infrastructure.
In his letter, a copy of which is with HT, Sisodia said even after paying several major fire cases, which led to huge losses for the civic body, the authorities have failed to re-evaluate a local disaster management preventive and response plan.
Sisodia, who had also served as a vigilance officer, said: “If a physical survey of Mumbai had been carried out, losses in major fires such as the Mantralaya, Mont Blanc in Kemps Corner, Lotus Business Park in Andheri and now Gokul Niwas at Kalbadevi could have been prevented and contained.”
Sisodia also questioned the disaster management cell’s existing infrastructure to handle such cases. “The civic body needs to organise more training for them,” he said..
First Published: Jun 04, 2015 23:20 IST