A timeline on Manna Dey
In a career that spanned almost seven decades, legendary playback singer Manna Dey lent his voice to more than 4,000 songs. We track the milestones in Dey's life.music Updated: Oct 24, 2013 11:02 IST
Legendary playback singer Manna Dey died at a Bangalore hospital early on Thursday after prolonged illness.
Dey, 94, who was admitted to Narayana Hrudayalaya five months ago for respiratory problems, died of cardiac arrest at 3:50am, a senior doctor at the hospital said.
His daughter Shumita Deb and his son-in-law Jnanranjan Deb were by his bedside when the end came, his family said.
Dey is survived by two daughters, one of whom is based in the US.
"We are saddened by his loss, but he died peacefully. His last rites will be performed later in the day," his son-in-law said.
In a career that spanned almost seven decades, legendary playback singer Manna Dey lent his voice to more than 4,000 songs. We track the milestones in Dey's life.
• Born on May 1, 1919 in Kolkata as Probodh Chandra Dey
• Came to Mumbai (then Bombay) in 1942 with his uncle Krishna Chandra Dey, a music composer. Started working as an assistant music director under the tutelage of his uncle and music composer SD Burman
• Began his playback singing career in 1943 with a duet with Suraiya for the film, Tamanna
• Married Sulochana Kumaran from Kerala on December 18, 1953. They had two daughters and remained together till Sulochana's death in 2012
• In 1969, Dey won his first National Film Award for best male playback singer for Hindi film Mere Huzur
• In 1971, he won the National Film Award for best male playback singer for Bengali film Nishi Padma and Hindi film Mera Naam Joker
• Honoured with the Padma Shri in 1971
• Awarded the Padma Bhushan in 2005
• Conferred with the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 2007
• Won the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award in 2011
• In February 2013, it was reported that Dey would record four songs in memory of his late wife Sulochana, despite his failing health
• On June 8, 2013, he was admitted to the ICU at a Bengaluru hospital after his chest infection gave rise to other complications
• He has been in and out of hospital for the past few months
• Dey was again admitted to hospital on Wednesday, October 23, 2013
• He passed away on Thursday, October 24, 2013