Forget Shahid’s peeing: Take 5 shocking instances of rockstar insanity
As Udta Punjab readies itself for release, sans the scene of Shahid Kapoor urinating, we present 5 of the most depraved instances of rockstar excess.music Updated: Jun 16, 2016 14:36 IST
Even a day before its release, Udta Punjab’s fate is still up in the air. For a film that’s been through the ringer, there are still a few out there trampling on its rights. As much as times have changed in our country, one can never really discount a peeved off Indian who has nothing much to do with his day.
After going through the inevitably unjust motions - screenings, being slashed, appeals, counter appeals, cuts and now, finally, piracy - the film arrives, the talk of the nation.
Initially, the CBFC demanded 89 cuts, but it was finally agreed that just a single cut would suffice. It was a scene that millions had already seen in the trailer. You know the one. If this were a Friends episode title, it would be called The One Where Shahid Kapoor’s Rockstar Tommy Singh Urinates on People. Disgusting behaviour - yes - but was it really that offensive?
The answer to that question, clearly, is no. We present to you 5 instances of rockstar behaviour so gruesome, depraved, belligerent, appalling and downright disgusting that by the time you’re done reading this, it will make poor Tommy Singh look like a choir boy.
5. Just the simple act of looking at Kiss is enough to give you confusingly mixed emotions. But at the height of their popularity (1977), the band decided to collaborate with another pioneer of the times: Marvel Comics. So far so sane right? Wrong! You see, the ink used to print Marvel Comics’ Super Special Kiss Comic was made from the real blood of the band members. Now, keep in mind that their blood is probably infused with some of the most potent chemicals ever created. And now imagine children reading those books.
4. Ozzy Osbourne is no stranger to weirdness. You’d think his entry in this article was about the many instances of him urinating on important places (like the Texas Alamo), but you’d be wrong. Because his entry in this article is about that time in 1982 he bit the head off of a bat on stage.
3. Before we proceed, you need to be warned about the insanity of Scandinavian black metal. It is not, like the affable Tommy Singh, for the faint of heart. For instance, shows usually involve numerous animal carcasses, slit wrists, blood, gore and the occasional crucifixion. But when the lead singer of the famously grim band Mayhem (he went by ‘Dead’) committed suicide by blowing his head up in 1991, his guitarist (Euronymous) made a necklace from bits of his disintegrated skull and handed it, like Thor’s hammer, to those musicians he considered ‘worthy.’ It gets worse: They also decided to make the gruesome photo of a dead ‘Dead’ their album cover.
2. That one time when Keith Richards smoked his dead father’s ashes mixed with cocaine only to later clarify that no cocaine was involved.
1. Our number one pick involves murder. The Altamont Free Concert in 1969 was perhaps one of the most tense gatherings ever. More than 3,00,000 people were in attendance. From the beginning, performers would have to calm the crowd down as they descended into drug-fuelled violence against the backdrop of the counter culture movement. And then, during The Rolling Stones’ set, a woman was shot mere feet from the band. It was all captured on The Maysles Brothers documentary Gimme Shelter.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
First Published: Jun 16, 2016 14:36 IST