Remembering Rafi: 7 lesser-known facts about the legend
Are you a Mohammed Rafi fan and want to discover an interesting side to this legendary singer? Here's some tricky trivia on Rafi Saahab on his death anniversary.Updated: Jul 31, 2015 10:38 IST
1.Rafi's nickname was Pheeko.
2. Rafi started singing by imitating chants of a fakir in his village.
3. Rafi's family owned a men's salon in Lahore's Noor Mohalla.
4. Rafi's brother-in-law Mohammed Hameed spotted the talent in Rafi and encouraged him.
Mohd Rafi with Lata Mangeshkar
5. Rafi's first public performance came at the age of 13, when he was allowed to sing at a concert featuring the legendary KL Saigal.
6. In 1948, Rafi sang Sun Suno Aye Duniya Walon Bapuji Ki Amar Kahani, written by Rajendra Krishan, which became a huge hit. He was invited by the Indian Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru, to sing at the latter's house.
7. Rafi's funeral procession was recorded on a very rainy day in Mumbai. A portion of that same recording has been used in one of the Hindi movies released later. It was one of the biggest funeral processions Mumbai had ever witnessed, with over 10,000 people attending.
First Published: Jul 31, 2015 09:50 IST