Ghaziabad: Inquiry initiated into ‘death’, burial of man who was in police contact
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 20, 2019-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Ghaziabad: Inquiry initiated into ‘death’, burial of man who was in police contact

Mandeep Singh Negi was nabbed by locals on July 9 on suspicion of theft was later handed over to the police

noida Updated: Jul 18, 2017 23:41 IST
Peeyush khandelwal
Peeyush khandelwal
Hindustan Times
Noida,Noida news,Ghaziabad
Locals from Lajpat Nagar protest against the suspicious death of the 24-year-old man outside Sahibabad police station on Tuesday . (HT PHOTO)

Following the case of suspicious death of a 24-year-old man in ‘police contact’ who was cremated as unidentified by Sahibabad police on July 13, the Ghaziabad police initiated an inquiry by circle officer (Sahibabad) who is the in charge of the same police station.

The move comes after Amitabh Thakur, inspector general (rules & manuals), on Monday recommended an inquiry to be taken up by an assistant superintendent of police from outside Ghaziabad district. He had also recommended that officials of Sahibabad police station be transferred, if necessary.

“The victim was in police contact and later he died. I sent my recommendation to the DGP for an inquiry by ASP from outside Ghaziabad as the issue is serious and suspicious. The death and burial took place under extremely suspicious circumstances. I feel the officials should be transferred,” Thakur said.

He recommended the inquiry following complaints by locals.

Victim Mandeep Singh Negi was allegedly nabbed by unidentified persons on July 9 on suspicion of theft and later handed over to police. The police shifted him to a private hospital and later to district MMG hospital where he succumbed the next day. His family blamed Sahibabad police officials for the death and alleged police torture.

“He was beaten up by cops after people handed him over to police. There has been a complete police laxity and my son was cremated as unidentified on July 13 despite our filing a missing complaint July 12. We were asked to bring a bigger photograph for filing a complaint on July 11,” said Girish Singh Negi, Mandeep’s father.

Meanwhile, family members of three young men -- Adit, Arjun and Ajeet -- whom the police is looking out for, who called up the police, approached Ghaziabad SSP HN Singh on Tuesday.

“The police told us there is a case against them and they have run away. Adit is a law student and had dialed number 100 to help police reach the spot where some unidentified locals were holding Negi captive on suspicion of theft. This is harassment. The police are now blaming the death on our children. Now, people will fear giving any information to police,” said Virat Singh, Adit’s cousin.

Read I Ghaziabad bank robbery: Burglars bypassed sensors, cops suspect ‘inside help’

Senior superintendent of police HN Singh said the inquiry by circle officer, Sahibabad will be concluded within two days.

“Upon information, a PRV reached the spot on the night of the incident and took Negi to police station. He was taken to hospital and he could not tell his name. In between his family filed a missing complaint. The body was cremated after 72 hours as per procedure. There was no police torture. The FIR against the three young men was lodged by Negi’s family,” said the SSP.

However, Negi’s father denied that he filed an FIR against the three men. He said the family only lodged a missing complaint.

First Published: Jul 18, 2017 23:35 IST