Sign in

In pics: Residents, tourists evacuated as forest fires sweep through several parts of southern Turkey

Unprecedented forest fires in southern Turkey killed at least six and left several injured. Panicked tourists in Turkey hurried to the seashore to wait for rescue boats after being told to evacuate some hotels in the Aegean Sea resort of Bodrum, Turkish media reported.

Updated on: Aug 01, 2021 1:54 PM IST
Share
Share via
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • linkedin
  • whatsapp
Copy link
  • copy link
1/9
Voice of America said that more than 70 wildfires broke out this week in Turkey's Mediterranean and southern Aegean regions. Coast guard units led the operation and authorities asked private boats and yachts to assist in evacuation efforts from the sea as new wildfires erupted. Here are a few visuals of 70 wildfires sweeping Turkey. (REUTERS)expand-iconView Photos in a new improved layout
Updated on Aug 01, 2021 1:54 PM

Voice of America said that more than 70 wildfires broke out this week in Turkey's Mediterranean and southern Aegean regions. Coast guard units led the operation and authorities asked private boats and yachts to assist in evacuation efforts from the sea as new wildfires erupted. Here are a few visuals of 70 wildfires sweeping Turkey. (REUTERS)

2/9
A firefighting helicopter drops water on a wildfire near Marmaris, Turkey on July 31, 2021.  (REUTERS/Umit Bektas)expand-iconView Photos in a new improved layout
Updated on Aug 01, 2021 1:54 PM

A firefighting helicopter drops water on a wildfire near Marmaris, Turkey on July 31, 2021. (REUTERS/Umit Bektas)

3/9
Locals try to extinguish a wildfire near the town of Manavgat, east of the resort city of Antalya, Turkey.  (REUTERS/Kaan Soyturk)expand-iconView Photos in a new improved layout
Updated on Aug 01, 2021 1:54 PM

Locals try to extinguish a wildfire near the town of Manavgat, east of the resort city of Antalya, Turkey. (REUTERS/Kaan Soyturk)

4/9
Locals watch a wildfire near Manavgat, Turkey. The death toll from wildfires rose to six on Saturday after two forest workers were killed, the country's health minister said. (REUTERS/Kaan Soyturk)expand-iconView Photos in a new improved layout
Updated on Aug 01, 2021 1:54 PM

Locals watch a wildfire near Manavgat, Turkey. The death toll from wildfires rose to six on Saturday after two forest workers were killed, the country's health minister said. (REUTERS/Kaan Soyturk)

5/9
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan looks at wildfire from the window of his helicopter in Marmaris, Turkey. (REUTERS)expand-iconView Photos in a new improved layout
Updated on Aug 01, 2021 1:54 PM

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan looks at wildfire from the window of his helicopter in Marmaris, Turkey. (REUTERS)

6/9
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan addresses locals as he visits the wildfire disaster zones Manavgat and Marmaris, near Manavgat, Turkey on July 31. (REUTERS)expand-iconView Photos in a new improved layout
Updated on Aug 01, 2021 1:54 PM

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan addresses locals as he visits the wildfire disaster zones Manavgat and Marmaris, near Manavgat, Turkey on July 31. (REUTERS)

7/9
A man walks away from a wildfire near Manavgat, Turkey. Fires across Turkey since Wednesday have burned down forests and some settlements, encroaching on villages and tourist destinations and forcing people to evacuate. (REUTERS/Kaan Soyturk)expand-iconView Photos in a new improved layout
Updated on Aug 01, 2021 1:54 PM

A man walks away from a wildfire near Manavgat, Turkey. Fires across Turkey since Wednesday have burned down forests and some settlements, encroaching on villages and tourist destinations and forcing people to evacuate. (REUTERS/Kaan Soyturk)

8/9
The Russian news agency Sputnik said more than 100 Russian tourists had been evacuated from Bodrum and relocated to new hotels.  (REUTERS/Umit Bektas)expand-iconView Photos in a new improved layout
Updated on Aug 01, 2021 1:54 PM

The Russian news agency Sputnik said more than 100 Russian tourists had been evacuated from Bodrum and relocated to new hotels. (REUTERS/Umit Bektas)

9/9
The minister of agriculture and forestry, Bekir Pakdemirli, said Saturday that 91 of the 101 fires that broke out amid strong winds and scorching heat have been brought under control.  (REUTERS/Umit Bektas)expand-iconView Photos in a new improved layout
Updated on Aug 01, 2021 1:54 PM

The minister of agriculture and forestry, Bekir Pakdemirli, said Saturday that 91 of the 101 fires that broke out amid strong winds and scorching heat have been brought under control. (REUTERS/Umit Bektas)

Related Photos