120 cigarette packets recovered from Ludhiana central jail
Head warden Roop Singh has been suspended for dereliction in duty and the show cause notice has been served to head constable Krishan Lal and constables Manjit Singh and Harvinder Singh.punjab Updated: Oct 10, 2017 16:34 IST
The head warden of the Ludhiana Central Jail was suspended and three others served a show-cause notice after 120 packets of cigarettes were recovered from the premises during a special check on Monday.
- October 3: A mobile phone was recovered from a jail inmate Babu Ram.
- September 6: An inmate was booked after the jail staff recovered a mobile phone from his pocket during checking in Yamuna ward.
- June 27: Five inmates were booked after five mobile phones along with a SIM card was recovered during the checking in the barracks. The mobile phones were hidden in a drainage pipe.
- June 2: Jail staff recovered 16 mobile phones in the barracks and booked six inmates.
- May 19 : Two inmates were booked after a mobile phone was recovered during a check by the jail staff.
- May 9 : Three inmates, including two murder convicts and one murder undertrail, was booked for uploading selfies on their Facebook account. However, jail officials failed to recover mobile phones from them.
- March 17 : Two inmates were booked after the jail staff recovered two mobile phones during a check, eight days after a stripping video inside the jail went viral on the social media.
- February 26 : Staff at women’s jail seized a mobile phone from an inmate when she was talking over the phone.
- February 3 : An undertrial was caught with sedatives and a mobile phone charger hidden in his undergarments.
The packets of cigarettes were found hidden in a water cooler after a check was conducted by the jail superintendent SP Khanna.Khanna said that a head warden has been suspended and three others were served with a show-cause notice for their negligence.
He added that the packets were allegedly hidden by an inmate, Gora, who is an undertrial in a murder case.
“Head warden Roop Singh has been suspended for dereliction in duty and the show cause notice has been served to head constable Krishan Lal and constables Manjit Singh and Harvinder Singh,” he added.
Khanna said that they will registering a case against Gora at the Division Number 7 police station.
However, as per sub inspector Bikramjit Singh, SHO Division Number 7 police station, no case had been registered at the time of filing of this report.
First Published: Oct 10, 2017 16:32 IST