Cash crunch: Bride-to-be’s father dies of heart attack in Punjab’s Tarn Taran

Victim Sukhdev Singh’s daughter was to get married on November 18. When he went to the market to buy grocery items and jewellery on Monday, shopkeepers refused to accept the old banknotes, said Darshan Singh, sarpanch of his village, Kalla.
An ATM with the board ‘no cash’.(HT Photo, for representation only)
An ATM with the board ‘no cash’.(HT Photo, for representation only)
Updated on Nov 16, 2016 12:03 AM IST
Copy Link
By, Tarn Taran

Unable to make arrangements for his daughter’s wedding due to cash crunch arising from demonetisation, a 50-year-old man reportedly died after suffering cardiac arrest here on Monday night.

Also read | Fake Rs 2,000 notes: two men held

Victim Sukhdev Singh’s daughter was to get married on November 18. When he went to the market to buy grocery items and jewellery on Monday, shopkeepers refused to accept the old banknotes, said Darshan Singh, sarpanch of his village, Kalla.

“My husband was very worried when he returned from market. At night, he complained of chest pain and died of cardiac arrest,” said Sukhdev’s wife, Surjit Kaur.

Also read | Black money hoarders find escape route in dollars, via farms in Punjab

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • New district town planner Amit Madholia. (Sourced)

    Unauthorised colonies on radar of new town planner

    Curbing the spread of unauthorised colonies in the city and preventing commercial activities in residential areas will be the top priorities for Amit Madholia, the newly appointed district town planner who assumed charge of the department of town and country planning's enforcement wing on Tuesday. The enforcement department will also take stringent action against development of illegal colonies in the city and on the outskirts.

  • According to police, the suspect, Jitender alias Jeetu received <span class='webrupee'>₹</span>10.5 lakh from the loot, after which he fled. He was continuously changing locations since then. (Sourced)

    Main culprit in cash van loot case arrested in Gurugram

    A 34-year-old man, who was the main culprit involved in the 96 lakh cash loot from a van of a private agency on April 18, was arrested from Subhash Chowk in Gurugram on Sunday, said police on Monday. According to police, the suspect, Jitender alias Jeetu (identified by first name) received 10.5 lakh from the loot, after which hJitender, a resident of Bagahi village in Sant Kabir Nagar district of Uttar Pradeshfled and was continuously changing locations.

  • Congress leader Satyajeet Tambe has written to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) governor Shaktikanta Das drawing his attention to the rampant malpractices through online instant loan provider applications (REPRESENTATIVE IMAGE)

    Cong leader Satyajeet Tambe writes to RBI governor, seeks action against rampant online loan scams

    Congress leader Satyajeet Tambe has written to the Reserve Bank of India governor Shaktikanta Das drawing his attention to the rampant malpractices through online instant loan provider applications. The letter was written on June 17. He has urged the governor to intervene in the matter. The Maharashtra cyber crime cell, has received at least 1,900 complaints related to online loan applications since 2020. Tabe said, the phenomenon is the latest menace online.

  • Biogas plant on Ghole road. (HT FILE PHOTO)

    25 biogas plants set up at 100 cr to be shut down by Pune civic body

    The Pune Municipal Corporation on Tuesday decided to shut down its biogas plants. PMC had erected 25 biogas plants at the cost of Rs100 crore. PMC solid waste management department, head, Asha Raut, said, “PMC has taken the decision to shut down these plants.” Municipal commissioner Vikram Kumar had said, “As these plants are not functioning properly, PMC will demolish it and set up new four plants at different parts of the city.”

  • Police patrolling the area where protests had erupted. (File Photo)

    June 3 Kanpur violence: Police seek NBW against builder; SIT reconstituted

    KANPUR The police moved court seeking a non-bailable warrant against Haji Mohammad Wasi, a builder and one of the alleged funders of the June 3 Kanpur violence, who had been absconding after Haji Wasi's name cropped up in the case along with Mukhtar Baba, also an alleged funder of the protests in Kanpur, said officials. It was alleged that Wasi funded the alleged mastermind of the Kanpur violence, Zafar Hayat Hashmi.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Wednesday, June 29, 2022