PUBLISHED ON APR 09, 2021 05:54 AM IST
There are close to 7,000 Rohingya refugees in Jammu & Kashmir, numbers that have increased since the late 2000s when they first arrived in the region after escaping from Myanmar, where they were facing religious persecution.
PUBLISHED ON APR 07, 2021 10:34 PM IST
A bench of Chief Justice SA Bobde and Justices AS Bopanna and V Ramasubramanian will pronounce its order on the interim plea moved by a Rohingya refugee Mohd Salimullah in the pending matter.
PUBLISHED ON APR 02, 2021 11:13 PM IST
The girl and her family were among the hundreds of thousands of Rohingya who fled a Myanmar military-led crackdown in 2017.
UPDATED ON APR 02, 2021 05:02 PM IST
However, immigration officials of Myanmar refused to accept her, stating that the check-gate is shut for the last one year due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
UPDATED ON APR 01, 2021 04:09 AM IST
Rohingya leaders alleged a concerted drive against them, citing a similar incident earlier in March when about a dozen refugees were detained for not having papers.
By hindustantimes.com | Edited by Amit Chaturvedi
UPDATED ON MAR 25, 2021 08:27 AM IST
The intervention application has been filed by Mohammad Salimullah, a Rohingya refugee, through advocate Prashant Bhushan.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 24, 2021 03:16 PM IST
The blaze tore through the cramped camp in southeast Bangladesh's Cox's Bazar district on Monday, killing 15 people with hundreds missing, the United Nations said. Bangladesh said at least 11 people were killed.
UPDATED ON MAR 23, 2021 05:40 PM IST
UPDATED ON MAR 22, 2021 07:24 PM IST
Louise Donovan, a spokeswoman for the U.N. refugee agency, said in an email that fire services, rescue and response teams and volunteers were at the scene.
By hindustantimes.com | Edited by Amit Chaturvedi
UPDATED ON MAR 19, 2021 06:13 PM IST
Several news reports claimed that Rohingyas have been taking shelter in the Nuh village of Haryana's Mewat district.
UPDATED ON MAR 17, 2021 12:14 PM IST
- The United Nations earlier said it had not been allowed to conduct a technical and safety assessment of the island and was not involved in the transfer of refugees there.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 11, 2021 10:55 AM IST
The move comes at a time the army is struggling to contain daily protests against its Feb. 1 coup in which elected leader Aung San Suu Kyi was overthrown.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 10, 2021 02:37 PM IST
On Tuesday, the Inter-Sector Coordination Group (ICSG), which coordinates the UN's humanitarian activities, INGOs and NGOs lauded Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina-led government for successfully handling the Covid-19 situation in Rohingya camps.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 10, 2021 10:34 AM IST
- The detained Rohingyas include 100 women and 97 men, all above the age of 18 years.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 09, 2021 05:13 PM IST
- Regional Secretary CPI(M) Jammu Sham Prasad Kesar said so far nothing adverse has been found against the Rohingya refugees in the union territory and keeping that in consideration, the administration must deal with the issue on a humanitarian basis.
UPDATED ON MAR 09, 2021 05:04 AM IST
Over the weekend, police rounded up the 169 people from the city and took them to the Hiranagar jail detention centre
PUBLISHED ON MAR 07, 2021 08:08 PM IST
- Dozens of Rohingya are in a makeshift "holding centre" at Jammu's Hira Nagar jail after local authorities conducted biometric and other tests on hundreds of people to verify their identities.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 03, 2021 06:47 PM IST
- While the boat has been located, the fate of the passengers remains far from certain.
UPDATED ON FEB 26, 2021 03:17 PM IST
- The Indian government was in discussions with Bangladesh to agree for the safe return of the vessel, which was found drifting in international waters.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 25, 2021 12:27 PM IST
UNHCR said the Indian coast guard responded to its request and deployed a search and rescue team.
UPDATED ON FEB 22, 2021 03:15 PM IST
- The agency said it understood some passengers had died, with fatalities rising over the weekend on a boat it said had left the coastal district of Cox's Bazar in Bangladesh about 10 days ago and had experienced engine failure.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 16, 2021 01:27 PM IST
- Malaysia's immigration chief, Khairul Dzaimee Daud, said in a statement late Monday that the detainees will be deported Feb. 23 on Myanmar navy ships. He said the 1,200 were held for offenses including not having valid travel documents, overstaying and violating their social visit passes.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 15, 2021 05:20 PM IST
- The roughly 2,000 Rohingya who had been living in the sprawling refugee camps of Cox’s Bazar were sent to Bhasan Char. The government has said the arrangement is good for the refugees and the island is designed to offer better living conditions. While human rights groups have criticized the moves.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 07, 2021 03:51 PM IST
Seeking refuge, Muslim Rohingya have for years boarded boats fleeing persecution in Myanmar and refugee camps in Bangladesh, some taking the dangerous option of travelling with people-smugglers to Southeast Asia.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 05, 2021 03:37 PM IST
- Among the major projects that were on the table before the coup are a new railroad linking the Chinese border town of Ruili with Mandalay in Myanmar, and a China-financed deep-sea port at Kyaukpyu on the Bay of Bengal, which already also serves as a terminus for oil and gas pipelines.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 03, 2021 02:03 PM IST
- "Central Government has been vested with powers under sections 3(2)(e) and 3(2)(c) of the Foreigners Act, 1946 to detain and deport foreign nationals staying illegally in the country," said Minister of state for home affairs Nityanand Rai, while responding to Shiv Sena MP Anil Desai's query.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 02, 2021 07:39 PM IST
- “The military killed us, raped our sisters and mothers, torched our villages. How is it possible for us to stay safe under their control?” said Khin Maung, head of the Rohingya Youth Association in the camps in Cox’s Bazar district.
PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 06:11 PM IST
- "Last time, we had preparations for 700 to 1,000 but finally more than 1,800 Rohingya moved there. People who moved earlier are calling their relatives and friends to go there. That's why more people are going there." Navy Commodore Abdullah Al Mamun Chowdhury told Reuters.
PUBLISHED ON JAN 18, 2021 02:23 AM IST
Deputy commissioner of police (Dwarka) Santosh Kumar Meena, on Friday, said that based on local information, two men, Hamid Hussain (23) and Nabi Hussain (22), were arrested from Hastsal village in Uttam Nagar. A case was registered against them under the Foreigners Act.
Dhaka | By Reuters
UPDATED ON AUG 20, 2019 02:58 PM IST
More than 730,000 Rohingya fled Rakhine for neighbouring Bangladesh after a military-led crackdown in August 2017 the United Nations has said was perpetrated with “genocidal intent”, but many refugees refuse to go back, fearing more violence.