Sign in

‘Contrary to law’: US judge strikes down Donald Trump's visa ban on 75 countries

The ban was for nationals of 75 countries, including Afghanistan, Brazil, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, and Yemen, who wish to settle in the United States indefinitely.

Published on: Aug 22, 2026, 18:23:06 IST
Share
Share via
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • linkedin
  • whatsapp
Copy link
  • copy link

A US federal judge on Friday struck down a ban on visas to nationals from 75 countries imposed by the Donald Trump administration, dealing a blow to the US President's immigration crackdown.

US President Donald Trump had campaigned on an anti-immigration platform during the 2024 Presidential election against his Democratic opponent Kamala Harris. (REUTERS)
US President Donald Trump had campaigned on an anti-immigration platform during the 2024 Presidential election against his Democratic opponent Kamala Harris. (REUTERS)

The ban was for nationals of 75 countries, including Afghanistan, Brazil, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Somalia, Thailand and Yemen, who wish to settle in the United States indefinitely.

In a ruling in the Southern District of New York, Judge Jeannette Vargas called the policy "contrary to law" and said Secretary of State Marco Rubio had exceeded his "statutory authority" in issuing it.

What was the policy?

The policy, which came into force in January this year, suspended the processing of immigrant visas to nationals of 75 countries, including Afghanistan, Brazil, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Somalia, Thailand and Yemen.

At the time of announcing the policy, the US State Department had said the decision was made "to ensure that immigrants from high-risk countries do not unlawfully utilise welfare in the United States or become a public charge."

This came amid a widespread crackdown on immigration under Donald Trump, who had campaigned on an anti-immigration platform during the 2024 Presidential election against his Democratic opponent Kamala Harris.

What the judge said

Judge Jeannette Vargas ruled that consular officers were wrongly ordered to refuse immigrant visas solely on the basis of an applicant's country of origin, even if they had determined the applicant was otherwise fit to receive the visa.

Friday's ruling vacates any visa denial based solely on the policy in question. However, the Trump administration can appeal the ruling, which it is expected to do. Trump himself hasn't publicly said anything on the ruling yet.

Donald Trump campaigned for the White House on a promise to expel millions of undocumented migrants and has taken a number of actions since returning to the White House aimed at speeding up deportations and reducing border crossings.

With AFP inputs

  • Shivam Pratap Singh
    ABOUT THE AUTHOR
    Shivam Pratap Singh

    Shivam Pratap Singh is a digital journalist who works as a Deputy Chief Content Producer with Hindustan Times. Having previously worked with various platforms covering national, international as well as sports events, he blends in various topics to easy to read news pieces for the benefit of the reader. Shivam holds a Master's degree in International Relations from Jamia Millia Islamia, bringing in a unique perspective for whatever is happening around the world. An avid reader, he can be seen immersed in books and book shops while not working. Shivam treats every topic almost equally but loves to right about foreign affairs and politics of India. He has over half-a-decade of experience in digital journalism though his career started in print.Read More

Get the latest World News, breaking headlines and global updates from the US, UK, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Russia and other countries. Follow major international events on Hindustan Times.