Iran's warning as Gaza war resumes: ‘Washington and Tel Aviv are…’ | World News - Hindustan Times
close_game
close_game

Iran's warning as Gaza war resumes: ‘Washington and Tel Aviv are…’

AFP |
Dec 01, 2023 06:28 PM IST

Israel-Hamas War: "The continuation of the Washington and Tel Aviv war means a new genocide in Gaza and the West Bank," Iran's Foreign Minister said.

Iran warned of "severe consequences" as the deadly conflict between Israel and Hamas resumed on Friday after a seven-day truce expired.

Israel-Hamas War: Palestinians look at destruction after the Israeli bombing In Khan Younis refugee camp in Gaza Strip.(AP)
Israel-Hamas War: Palestinians look at destruction after the Israeli bombing In Khan Younis refugee camp in Gaza Strip.(AP)

Militants from the Iran-backed Hamas launched an unprecedented attack on southern Israel on October 7 in which Israeli officials say about 1,200 people were killed, mostly civilians, and around 240 were taken hostage.

Hindustan Times - your fastest source for breaking news! Read now.

Israel, whose main ally is the United States, vowed to destroy Hamas in response and unleashed an offensive that Gaza's Hamas government says has killed more than 15,000 people in the Palestinian territory, also mostly civilians.

Fighting resumed on Friday after the expiry of the temporary truce that saw Hamas release 80 Israeli hostages in exchange for 240 Palestinian prisoners.

Read more: Hamas will 'take the mother of all thumpings', Israel warns as truce expires

"The continuation of the Washington and Tel Aviv war means a new genocide in Gaza and the West Bank," Iran's Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian said Friday in post on X, formerly Twitter.

"It appears that they do not think about the severe consequences of returning to war," he added.

Israel accused Hamas of breaking the pause by attempting to launch a rocket attack shortly before it was due to come to an end Friday at 0500 GMT.

A source close to Hamas told AFP the group's armed wing had received "the order to resume combat" and to "defend the Gaza Strip".

The health ministry in the Hamas-run Palestinian territory said at least 60 people had been killed in the hours after the truce ended.

Iran's foreign ministry spokesman Nasser Kanani had earlier blamed Israel and the United States over the resumption of hostilities.

In a post on X, Kanani said "the political and legal responsibility for the continuation of the aggression and massacre" rested with Israel, the United States and "governments that support this apartheid regime".

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, who met Thursday with Israeli and Palestinian officials, called for a truce extension and said Palestinian civilians must be protected if hostilities resume.

Other world figures had also appealed for a longer pause.

"The nations and the vast majority of the governments of the world are shouting for the continuation of the ceasefire and the complete stop to the Zionist regime's attacks against Gaza and the West Bank," Kanani said.

Unlock a world of Benefits with HT! From insightful newsletters to real-time news alerts and a personalized news feed – it's all here, just a click away! - Login Now! Get Latest World News along with Latest News from India at Hindustan Times.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Share this article
SHARE
Story Saved
Live Score
OPEN APP
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Thursday, February 29, 2024
Start 14 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now
Follow Us On