Sign in

Karmelo Anthony update: Judge rejects new trial request after 35-year prison sentence in Austin Metcalf stabbing case

A Texas judge has denied Karmelo Anthony’s request for a new trial in the killing of 17-year-old Austin Metcalf. 

Published on: Aug 23, 2026, 05:20:39 IST
AP
Share
Share via
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • linkedin
  • whatsapp
Copy link
  • copy link

DALLAS (AP) — A Texas judge denied a new trial for Karmelo Anthony on Saturday in the stabbing death of a 17-year-old athlete at a high school track meet, a killing that drew national attention and led to harassment of the families.

Karmelo Anthony’s new trial request has been denied. (X/@IAmyLeigh)
Karmelo Anthony’s new trial request has been denied. (X/@IAmyLeigh)

Anthony, 19, was convicted of murder in June and sentenced to 35 years in prison for the April 2025 killing of Austin Metcalf, 17.

Judge Michael Chitty denied the retrial motion in a half-page order following a two-day hearing this week near Dallas, citing a review of the evidence and arguments. He did not elaborate.

Russell Wilson, Anthony's attorney, said the defense would appeal.

“Our commitment to our client has not changed,” Wilson said. “We will continue to advocate vigorously on his behalf through every lawful avenue available.”

Prosecutor Bill Wirskye defended the trial as fair this week.

Also Read: Karmelo Anthony trial: Claims of stalking ‘girlfriend’ surface as text messages reveal stabbing fantasies

“We respect, and expected, the court’s decision denying the motion for a new trial,” Collin County District Attorney Greg Willis said after the denial was announced. “The jury’s guilty verdict stands, and we remain confident in the process. Every defendant has the right to appeal, and our thoughts and prayers remain with the Metcalf family in the painful wake of last week’s hearing.”

Anthony’s attorneys also demanded a retrial because they said trial judge John Roach’s courtroom rules were so strict that they limited the public’s access to the proceedings. And in asking for Roach's recusal, they noted that he gave a posttrial interview with a Dallas TV station in which he said the jury “got it right.”

Also Read: Karmelo Anthony text messages: 5 disturbing revelations amid Austin Metcalf trial - ‘licking blood off blade’

Roach said his rules were necessary for a fair trial, and prosecutors insisted he did nothing wrong.

The case attracted widespread attention in part because of a flood of social media posts that amplified the killing in racial terms. Anthony is Black; Metcalf was white. Lawyers on both sides, however, told jurors that the case had nothing to do with race.

Jurors rejected Anthony’s claims that he was defending himself during a confrontation with Metcalf in the bleachers of the track meet.

Stay updated with US News covering politics, crime, weather, local events, and sports highlights. Get the latest on Donald Trump and American politics along with Horoscope 2026.