Bus crash kills 2 Britons in SAfrica ahead of WCup
Two British women, who were part of a school group touring South Africa, were killed in a bus crash today, police said.Updated: Jun 10, 2010 21:01 IST
Two British women, who were part of a school group touring South Africa, were killed in a bus crash today, police said.
Provincial police spokesman Capt. Leonard Hlathi told The Associated Press that the vehicle was carrying 22 people _ including 18 British students and two British teachers _ when it veered off the road today near the town of Barberton, just outside the World Cup host city of Nelspruit in north east South Africa. Capt. Hlathi confirmed two British women were killed, but it was unclear whether they were students or teachers.
Police said a Zimbabwean driver and a South African tour guide were also on the bus when it overturned. They said one person was in critical condition after the accident.
Nelspruit Medi-Clinic spokeswoman Robyn Baard said eight injured tourists were being ferried to the clinic and three people, two males and a female, had already arrived.
"Two are serious but presently in a stable condition. We are expecting to receive more patients soon," Baard said. The British embassy in South Africa could not be reached for comment.
Capt. Hlathi said a tourist safety doctor and a bus safety inspector from the provincial traffic department attended the crash and some of the injured were treated at the scene.
First Published: Jun 10, 2010 20:59 IST