Padmaavat: Ranveer Singh locked himself in a room for 21 days, went to a ‘dark place’ to play Khilji
Ranveer Singh’s performance in Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s controversial epic, Padmaavat, has been widely appreciated by critics and fans, even if the film itself has been met with tepid reactions. The star revealed his process of getting into the character of Alauddin Khilji, who has been portrayed as a maniac obsessed with Deepika Padukone’s Rani Padmavati.
Speaking with Indian Express, Ranveer said that he is pleased with the positive reaction his performance has got and said he went to ‘a dark place’ emotionally to play the character. “I took 21 days and locked myself up in my Goregaon house. I was completely isolated,” he said.
“I kind of isolated myself, marinated into the character because I can’t relate to Alaudin Khilji, I can’t relate to that level of manipulativeness, greed and ambition. I had to tap into dark experiences but his world view is not something I can relate to also,” he continued.
During this period, Ranveer said that he “kept working on (his) physique, voice and the gait.”
Ranveer credits Bhansali’s direction for the final result. “He is as much a creator of this character as I am. All credit to him. His is the most amount of direction I have taken from across these three films (Goliyon Ki Rasleela Ramleela, Bajirao Mastani and Padmaavat). He just knew what he wanted to do with Alaudin Khilji and was having so much fun doing it,” Ranveer said.
“I have had some life experiences that were quite dark. I can’t reveal too much because it is too personal but it is the stuff I have brushed under the carpet so to speak. Stuff that I have buried in my conscience, that I had to dig out in order to play this character. And it was not always pretty, which validates my apprehension. I knew how deep I had to go into this rabbit hole. I would have had to go into this dark, black space. This abyss that could be dangerous for me. And it was.”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Salman Khan reportedly shot for Shah Rukh Khan's Pathan on Thursday. See a picture from the set here.
- Rakhi Sawant visited her ailing mother at hospital, accompanied by Kashmera Shah and Sambhavna Seth, who assured 'emotional and financial support' for her.
- Yashraj Mukhate, the memelord musician behind viral tracks such as Rasode Mein Kaun Tha and Pawri Hori Hai, has spoken about his journey.
- On Shahid Kapoor's 40th birthday, his former step-father Rajesh Khattar recalled the 'normal family' dynamic they shared as Shahid was growing up.
- A faction of late actor Sushant Singh Rajput's fans called for a boycott of the film Chehre, said to feature his girlfriend Rhea Chakraborty. Rhea was removed from the promotional materials of the film.
- Sunny Leone, her daughter Nisha and sons Asher and Noah touched down in Mumbai after their trip to Kerala. They were welcomed by Daniel Weber.
Indian adaptation underway for Spanish thriller The Cleaning Lady, Siddharth Kumar Tewary reveals details
- Actor Saif Ali Khan once said that he should've added a disclaimer to his son Taimur's name, after him and his wife, Kareena Kapoor, were criticised for picking that name.
- Bipasha Basu and Karan Singh Grover were in Maldives for a brief holiday and shared lots of pictures from the island nation. Check out their latest pictures here.
- As Shahid Kapoor turns 40, his wife Mira Rajput took to Instagram and penned a sweet birthday note for the actor.
- Actor Zareen Khan has spoken about how being compared unfavourably to Katrina Kaif early in her career affected her.
- Actor Kangana Ranaut in a new tweet called a group of youths 'primitive monkeys' for getting answers on history and current affairs wrong.