Cricket Board softens stand on contracts
BCCI President Sharad Pawar is open to suggestions on the decision on endorsements by the cricketers, Board says.cricket Updated: Apr 09, 2007 01:47 IST
After its tough stance against badly-performing players, the BCCI on Sunday stepped back saying that its decision to limit cricketers' endorsements was not "sacrosanct" and that it was open to a reconsideration.
The BCCI President Sharad Pawar is open to suggestions on the decision to limit endorsements to three for each player and would consult cricketers for which he has been authorised by the Working Committee, the Board Vice-President Rajiv Shukla said here.
Highly-placed Board sources said that the number of endorsements may be increased to five, a suggestion made by former skipper Kapil Dev who spoke to Pawar.
"It is not as if everything has been finalised. The decision allowing endorsement of only three products is not sacrosant. There is no intention to harm the players. At the same time, sensing the mood of the country there has to be some restrictions on the commercials," Shukla said.
The Board's controversial decision yesterday to curtail the players' product endorsements, estimated at about Rs 375 crores, and to scrap the graded contract system, has stung players, their agents and corporates. Threats of legal action have been voiced by the agents.
Holding an olive branch to the Board, Dravid issued a statement earlier in the day proposing a "healthy dialogue" with the Cricket Board to "crease out the irksome issues" of endorsements and contracts.
First Published: Apr 08, 2007 20:30 IST