News updates from Hindustan Times: Flights, trains unlikely to begin on May 3, GoM looks at May 15 and all the latest news
Here are today’s top news, analysis and opinion. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
Flights, trains unlikely to begin on May 3, GoM looks at May 15
Restrictions on air and train travel may continue beyond May 3, when the 40-day lockdown in India to stop the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic comes to an end, at least three people who attended a Group of Ministers (GoM) meeting on Saturday said on condition of anonymity. Read more
Covid-19 lockdown: Odisha announces Rs 100 crore employment programme for 4.5 lakh urban poor families
With the Covid-19 lockdown affecting livelihood of millions of poor in urban areas, the Odisha government on Saturday announced an emergency programme ‘Urban Wage Employment Initiative’ worth Rs 100 crore that would start from April 20 and continue till September this year. Read more
Covid-19: Most rapid tests negative in Rajasthan and Punjab; other states get ready for the exercise
In the first round of rapid-testing in Rajasthan to detect carriers or super spreaders of the Sars-Cov-2 virus most tests results were negative, officials said on Saturday, as other states started working on conducting tests from Sunday. Read more
‘Mistake is a mistake’: Trump warns China of ‘consequences’ for Covid-19 outbreak
President Donald Trump on Saturday said China should face “consequences” if it was found to have been “knowingly responsible” for the novel coronavirus outbreak. Read more
Delay in insuring IPL set to sting BCCI
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is set to face massive losses after failing to insure this year’s Indian Premier League against cancellation due to a pandemic. Why? Because by March, when the BCCI got in touch with their insurance company to get the cover for this year’s IPL, the company had omitted COVID-19 from their coverage clause. Read more
Coronavirus survival tips: Do what you can to restore the weekend
So far, life has had a law. Weekdays were followed by weekends. You worked through the week and then played, whether this meant going trekking, grabbing your camera to get some shots, or heading to a café. Read more
Priyanka Chopra, Shah Rukh Khan come together for One World special with Lady Gaga, Beyonce. Watch
Bollywood actors Shah Rukh Khan and Priyanka Chopra with Lady Gaga, Paul McCartney, Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish,The Rolling Stones and Beyonce kicked off a global special of music, comedy and personal stories in what Gaga called a “love letter” to front line workers battling the coronavirus pandemic. Read more
Zoom vs Skype: Which video conferencing app should you use
People around the world are now very dependent on video conferencing apps to communicate, work from home and conduct online classes. User activity and downloads of these apps have also seen a huge surge since the Covid-19 lockdowns began. Read more
Watch: Diyas light up India’s monuments on Heritage Day to hail Covid-19 warriors
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- A statement form the Rajasthan Chief Minister's Office cited rising Covid-19 cases in the neighbouring states for the decision to insist on negative Covid reports for visitors.
- The woman who suspected foul play, checked the accused's Facebook account and found out that he was regularly chatting with another woman, who turned out to be his wife.
- It was the second Maoist attack in the last two days in Chhattisgarh.
- A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice of India (CJI) asked the petitioner's lawyer to compile a list of similarly placed officers of the Indian armed forces still languishing in Pakistani jails.
- The order was issued after hearing an injunction suit filed by Ramesh Jarkiholi’s lawyers on Wednesday. The suit had named 68 media houses, channels and others.
- High Commissioner Alex Ellis also said more debates on the farmers' protest should be expected around the world as India takes on a greater role on the global stage