Over 50 detained, crowd at Jantar Mantar despite no nod: What happened at ‘Reservation Hatao Andolan’
The protesters had gathered at Jantar Mantar despite the police's repeated reminder that no permission had been granted to stage a demonstration there.
More than 50 people protesting against the caste-based reservation policy were detained at Jantar Mantar in Delhi on Friday as they gathered under the banner of Reservation Hatao Andolan (RHA). The detention followed a stand-off with security personnel in the afternoon, officers aware of the matter said.

The protesters had gathered at Jantar Mantar despite the police's repeated reminder that no permission had been granted to stage a demonstration there. In the morning, hundreds of protesters, mobilised by different organisations representing people from general castes to seek reforms in reservations and quotas, arrived at Jantar Mantar.
ALSO READ: 'Assist the poor, irrespective of caste’: 5 demands at Reservation Hatao Andolan in Delhi
Deep Dive
By noon, police released another statement saying the protest had been permitted, but at Ramlila Ground.
Some protesters alleged that internet jammers had been deployed around the site, making it difficult to access social media from the area. The claim could not be independently verified.
Why were anti-reservation protesters detained?
In a letter, deputy commissioner of police (central) Rohit Rajbir Singh said, "...for peaceful protest of maximum of 500 persons at Ramlila Ground for Reservation Hatao Andolan has been considered in this office and we have no objection..."
However, the protesters, refused to leave Jantar Mantar and had a stand-off with the security personnel guarding the Jantar Mantar protest site.
What is Reservation Hatao Andolan
The protest drive was led by an Instagram page 'Reservation Hatao Andolan', which later called on its followers to participate in an in-person demonstration at Jantar Mantar on August 21. The page has amassed 5.6 million followers on the platform.
What are their demands
The Reservation Hatao Andolan protesters said the government should consider the economic condition of the candidates rather than caste alone. "A poor person, irrespective of caste, should be provided assistance for education, coaching and other needs," news agency PTI quoted a protester associated with the Akhil Bharatiya Kshatriya Mahasabha as saying.
Another protester demanded that the existing reservation system should be reassessed to ensure benefits reach the most disadvantaged. "Our contention is that the government should examine whether the present system is achieving its intended purpose and whether benefits are reaching people at the grassroots level," he said.
The protesters have also demanded that a creamy-layer criterion be introduced or income-based exclusion within reserved categories be strengthened.
One of the demands is of providing targeted support for economically weaker people by expanding scholarships, fee assistance, coaching and educational support.
The Reservation Hatao Andolan has sought policy changes and a review of provisions concerning SCs, STs and OBCs, including higher-education reservation policies.
The protesters also raised issues relating to the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act and higher education policies, including the University Grants Commission framework.
A protester sought the re-evaluation of the reservation policies in light of current social and economic conditions.

E-Paper

