All-out attack on Lalit Modi row pushes BJP to edge: 10 quotes
Amid growing demands for resignation of Rajasthan chief minister Vasundhara Raje over her alleged favour to former IPL chief Lalit Modi, the BJP appears to be under pressure from the Opposition and defend the state leader. A belligerent BJP may have decided to brazen it out, but it finds itself cornered over the issue. Here are 10 quotes that show a frontal attack on the ruling party:Updated: Jun 26, 2015 12:30 IST
Amid growing demands for resignation of Rajasthan chief minister Vasundhara Raje over her alleged favour to former IPL chief Lalit Modi, the BJP appears to be under pressure from the Opposition and defend the state leader. A belligerent BJP may have decided to brazen it out, but it finds itself cornered over the issue. Here are 10 quotes that show a frontal attack on the ruling party:
1) "Nobody from BJP can commit a mistake. Even if he does who are you to ask questions. This is Fascism," Congress leader Digvijaya Singh tweeted.
2) "If that (Singh remaining quiet) was mute, he (Modi) is super mute," Singh said.
3) "When he (Modi) tweets at the drop of the hat, why is he keeping quiet (on Lalit Modi issue)? He (Modi) is keeping quiet on black money... He is keeping quiet on issues with Pakistan, China... He is keeping quiet on all sensitive issues. His concern of the government is yoga. He says just know yoga and forget everything else," Singh added.
4) "Either today or tomorrow, the party high command is going to take a decision on this... Why is she waiting for high command's decision? Raje should resign owning moral responsibility… Inko ab koi nahi bacha sakta. Inka high command inhe bachane ka har sambhav prayas kar raha hai, magar janta ki nigah mein to faisla ho chuka hai," former Rajasthan chief minister Ashok Gehlot
5) "It was shocking that Raje had made a conditionality then that her support for Lalit Modi should be kept confidential and not be known to Indian authorities. This is a new low from a political leader and a national affront. The politburo demands her immediate resignation," CPI(M) said in a statement.
6) "The Prime Minister is sitting like a 'Mauna Muni' on the BJP's naked corruption exposures. Time demands he should break his silence and speak," CPI general secretary S Sudhakar Reddy.
7) "If AAP leader (Jitender Singh Tomar) is being prosecuted in a fake degree case, then same standards should be applied to Irani too. So, she has to step down," CPI national secretary D Raja.
8) "The Prime Minister keeps tweeting. But why is he silent over these issues. Today, four senior BJP leaders are in the line of fire. Sushma Swaraj was once a potential PM candidate, Smriti Irani comes fourth in terms of seniority in the Modi cabinet. Vasundhara Raje has secured a three-fourth majority in last election whereas Pankaja Munde was in the race for chief ministership. So, the PM owes an explanation… In case of Raje she aided a fugitive who was trying to seek political asylum. This itself is a fit case for sedition," senior AAP leader Ashutosh said.
9) "We are open to exploring all avenues including meeting the president and the state governor to demand that the Rajasthan chief minister is sacked if she doesn't resign on her own… Every Congress worker will be on the streets now in the entire state to demand the resignation of Vasundhara Raje," Congress leader Sachin Pilot said.
10) "BJP does not take even five minutes in firing home secretary, finance secretary and external affairs secretary on any issue but they are not taking action against BJP leaders even as they are accepting their role," Pilot said.
First Published: Jun 26, 2015 12:10 IST