Cash in on rising rates
The recent moves in the debt market show that rates are rising, as there is action to clamp down on inflation. Investors looking at the debt side of their portfolio have several options available. The time when they decide to exercise an option, along with the manner in which they act, will determine how well they can handle the situation. In such a scenario, investors need to be alert to make the most of rising rates in the economy.
Wait for the rates to rise
In case of fixed deposits, the rate applicable at the time of making the deposit is the rate that the investor will earn over the life of the investment. It is necessary that an investor is able to get the best rates on the deposits that they are making and this can be done by looking at the current position in the market. When rate hikes are expected, it is better to wait for some time and then make a deposit. Even while making the deposit, an investor should check that the institution with which the investment is being made has increased rates so that he can earn higher amounts.
Select the right time period
There can be some strange position in the market when there is a change in the rates. During specific time periods, the bank might require money and could be offering a higher rate for the investor. Tracking this movement will help investors to select this time period and earn a higher rate of return rather than at a period where the rate is slightly lower. Spotting such opportunities is crucial for investors to be successful in their efforts. This can prove to be an added benefit for investors and they should always be on the lookout for such opportunities.
Avoid traded instruments
When there is a rise in the rates, the market prices of bonds and other debt securities decline. Due to this reason any investor who holds these securities will find that their investment value is reducing.
In such a position, when the rates are expected to rise, investors should avoid investment like long-term income scheme and gilt schemes where the impact will be directly reflected in their portfolio value. At such times it is better to be present in areas like fixed maturity plans or short-term plans where the risk is lesser.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- All ten vaccination centres across the city sported colourful curtains and were decorated with flowers. Some centres at BYL Nair hospital and Covid-19 jumbo centre at Bandra Kurla Complex also placed selfie spots with ‘I got my Covid-19 vaccine’ message in the backdrop.
- In its response, BKU-Lokshakti through its advocate AP Singh told the Court that the Delhi Police application was unnecessary as Section 144 of Criminal Procedure Code is already in place in central Delhi which restricts gathering of five or more persons.
- The health ministry on Saturday said that close to 200,000 people were vaccinated on Day 1 of the drive.
- The Santacruz station of the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) recorded a minimum temperature of 16.6 degrees Celsius, a degree below normal. This is the second lowest minimum temperature recorded this season following a mercury drop to 16 degrees Celsius on December 22 last year.
- The DoPT is the nodal ministry for the CBI and any administrative action against Class-I gazetted officers (DSPs) is approved by it while the CBI Director has powers to suspend Inspectors and below rank officers.
- The CM said that policies have been simplified and they would be further eased to help those wanting to contribute to Bihar’s progress in different ways.
- Billed as Asia’s oldest and India’s biggest festival, IFFI is being held in Goa since 2004. This year the festival will open with the Indian premiere of the movie ‘Another Round’ by Thomas Vinterberg.