December 16 juvenile convict refuses to step out of NGO home
The juvenile convict in the December 16 gang rape case, who was shifted to undisclosed location on December 9 from the special home by an order of the Juvenile Justice Board, is learned to have refused to step out of the new NGO home. Sources said that the juvenile chose not to go to his village in Badaun, Uttar Pradesh.india Updated: Dec 20, 2015 01:49 IST
The juvenile convict in the December 16 gang rape case, who was shifted to undisclosed location on December 9 from the special home by an order of the Juvenile Justice Board, is learned to have refused to step out of the new NGO home. Sources said that the juvenile chose not to go to his village in Badaun, Uttar Pradesh.
“He is apprehensive about returning back to the society. Had he chosen to opt out of the rehabilitation programme he would have been free to go home or anywhere he wanted to,” said a government source.
Late Saturday evening, as news emerged that the young man had been shifted protests were held outside the North Delhi children’s reformation home, where the juvenile convict was lodged for three years till November 9.
The Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) later in the night made a last-ditch attempt to stall the scheduled release of the juvenile convict in the December 16 gangrape case on Sunday by setting in motion the process to seek the intervention of the Supreme Court.
The lawyers for DCW said that a decision has been taken to challenge the order of the Delhi High Court which refused to restrain the release of the convict.
The HC had on Friday refused to restrain the convict’s release citing that there is no legal provision for the action.
“DCW filing Special Leave Petition in SC tonight. Will go to Judge’s house, wil try get hearing tonight against Nirbhayas convict release,” DCW chairperson Maliwal tweeted.
Maliwal has filed a Special Leave Petition with the Supreme Court and met with the Chief Justice TS Thakur, close to midnight.
Earlier, the parents of the 23 year old paramedic gang- rape victim reached the spot and joined the other protesters who were blocking traffic on the ring road outside the children’s home. Protesters alleged that they were manhandled by the police and the young woman’s parents detained and taken to the local police station. While Delhi police denied that the parents were detained or arrested, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal took to twitter and expressed ‘shock’ that they were detained. He demanded their release.
DCP (North) Madhur Verma denied that the gang-rape victim’s parents were detained. “The protesters were on the road and there was heavy traffic. Cars drive at a very high speed there so we removed the protesters from the road, took them to the Maurice Nagar police station and released them instantly. It was done for their safety and there was no violence by anyone,” he said.
On December 9, the JJB-II at Prayas Children Home Complex here ordered his shifting from the special home to another government facility centre in the capital. The juvenile convict was shifted the same day.
The juvenile convict has completed his term and has legally been released but he will have to be with the new NGO for another few months, as part of his rehabilitation programme sources said adding that they have also taken an undertaking from him.
The convict, who is now over 20 years of age, has completed the three-year sentence at the special home and legally cannot be kept there beyond that period.
The rules stipulate that the convict is to be handed over to his parents or close relative after his release in a private setup. In the eventuality of parents not agreeing to come to Delhi or take over the juvenile, any willing close relative who can perform it on their behalf can be entrusted this task.
Even after the completion of his rehabilitation, the government has plans to call him for counselling regularly or send counsellors to where he resides.
First Published: Dec 20, 2015 01:09 IST