Karzai orders probe into suicide bombing
The President said he believed most of those responsible for about 20 suicide attacks in the past three months have been foreigners.india Updated: Jan 18, 2006 19:01 IST
Afghanistan's president has ordered an investigation into a bombing that killed 21 civilians at a wrestling match -- the deadliest suicide attack since US-led forces ousted the Taliban in 2001.
President Hamid Karzai ordered the inquiry on Tuesday to focus on "where the militants are getting their resources, their support and where they are coming from," spokesman Khaleeq Ahmed said.
Hours before Monday's explosion in a town on the Afghan-Pakistan border, Karzai told reporters he believed most of those responsible for about 20 suicide attacks in the past three months have been foreigners, though he did not say from where.
Afghan officials repeatedly claim that the Taliban and other militant groups have training bases in Pakistan and are receiving support from there - an accusation Islamabad denies.
Pakistani provincial authorities on Tuesday said as many as five foreign terrorists were killed in a purported US missile strike last week on the Pakistan side of the border.
Pakistani intelligence officials have said the target of the attack was Al-Qaeda's No 2, Ayman al-Zawahri, who they said was invited to a dinner celebrating an Islamic holiday in the village but sent aides instead.
Eighteen residents, including women and children, were also killed in the strike, the provincial government said on Tuesday.
In Monday's attack in Afghanistan, an unidentified man blew himself up after driving into a crowd of about 100 wrestling fans watching a bout in Spinboldak, a key crossing point into Pakistan.