Soz to represent India at Niyazov's funeral
Union Water Resources Minister Saifuddin Soz will represent India at the funeral of Turkmenistan's President Saparmurat Niyazov who passed away on Thursday.
Soz, who has been nominated by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to represent the country, left for Turkmenistan's capital Ashgabat on Saturday afternoon to attend the funeral on Sunday, official sources said.
Niyazov, who ruled the gas-rich country for 21 years, died in Ashgabat at the age of 66.
External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Friday sent a condolence message to acting President Gurbanguly Berdymuhammedov expressing condolences over the demise of Niyazov.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- In MP, the positivity rate increased to 2.3% on Thursday and there are 2,435 active cases in the state.
- CSE’s director general Sunita Narian said Covid-19 had made the world’s poor poorer.
- This was the first formal contact between Jaishankar and Wang since they met on the margins of a Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) meeting in Moscow on September 10 last year, and it came days after India and China pulled back frontline troops from strategic heights around Pangong Lake.
- Aparna Purohit was accused of the inappropriate depiction of UP police personnel, Hindu deities and adverse portrayal of a character playing the PM.
- PM Modi was in the two-poll bound neighbouring regions to launch a slew of infrastructure projects meant to give his regional allies a fillip.
- Here are today’s top news, analysis, and opinion. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
- According to a press release by the ministry of health, Kerala has administered the second dose of the Covid-19 vaccine to 85.09 per cent of the beneficiaries.