Three killed in hotel fire in Odisha
Three persons from Kolkata were killed apparently due to suffocation and three others injured when a fire broke out at a hotel in Odisha's Keonjhar district today, police said.Updated: Aug 04, 2012 12:24 IST
Three persons from Kolkata were killed apparently due to suffocation and three others injured when a fire broke out at a hotel in Odisha's Keonjhar district on Saturday, police said.
The three deceased from Kolkata who had checked into the hotel at Barbil on Friday were asleep when the fire broke out around 3am and filled the building with thick smoke.
The victims apparently failed to come out of the two-storeyed hotel building following the fire which was suspected to have erupted due to a short circuit.
Police and fire brigade personnel ventured into the building after the blaze was extinguished, police said adding three persons were declared dead, three others were injured and undergoing treatment at a nearby hospital.
Two of the deceased were identified as Gautam Basu (61) and Arun Kumar Choudhury.
There were nine occupants in the hotel besides staff, who managed to come out safely, they said.
First Published: Aug 04, 2012 12:21 IST