Bhiwandi building collapse: All you need to know
The building collapsed in the early hours of the morning on Monday.Updated: Sep 22, 2020, 09:27 IST
The death toll from the building collapse in Maharashtra’s Bhiwandi rose to 20 on Tuesday morning even as rescuers scrambled to look for more survivors.
Officials of the Bhiwandi Nizampur City Municipal Corporation (BNCMC) fear that 20 to 25 people are still trapped under the debris.
Here is what we know so far:
• A 36-year-old Jilani building in Bhiwandi collapsed in the early hours of Monday morning.
• 20 people have died so far due to the building collapse.
• 8 children between the ages of 2 years and 14 years have died in the collapse.
• National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), Thane Bhiwandi Disaster Cell and the Bhiwandi Nizampur City Municipal Corporation (BNCMC) have been conducting rescue operations for the past 29 hours.
• These disaster management authorities fear that more than 20-25 people are trapped in the debris.
• The collapse happened as the building’s third floor crashed onto the first floor of the building.
• Disaster management authorities have asked survivors to come forward and help them with details regarding number of people trapped inside in order to quicken the rescue process.
• The Prime Minister and the President tweeted their condolences and prayed that the injured recover fast.