Don’t want Tuticorin-like stir in Maharashtra, scrap Nanar project, Sena ministers tell CM Fadnavis | mumbai news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 14, 2018-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Don’t want Tuticorin-like stir in Maharashtra, scrap Nanar project, Sena ministers tell CM Fadnavis

Submit letter to Fadnavis, tell him the Rs3 lakh crore project may lead to unrest in Konkan

mumbai Updated: Jun 05, 2018 23:23 IST
Surendra P Gangan
Surendra P Gangan
Hindustan Times
Mumbai,nanar project,nanar refinery
Industries minister Subhash Desai said chief minister Devendra Fadnavis assured the Sena ministers to take an appropriate decision about the project.(HT FILE)

After the unilateral announcement of cancellation of the notification issued by the industries department for the land acquisition for the oil refinery project at Nanar in Ratnagiri, about 450-km from Mumbai, the Shiv Sena has now urged chief minister Devendra Fadnavis to begin the process of cancellation.

On Tuesday, Shiv Sena ministers met Fadnavis and submitted a letter, asking him to cancel the notification.

In the letter, the Sena ministers have said, “After the death of 13 protesters in the police firing in Tuticorin recently, the Tamil Nadu government has announced to scrap the Sterlite plant. The unrest among the Konkan citizens is not different. Protest against the refinery project has not subsided. It has resulted in land acquisition process coming to the halt. To avoid an untoward incident like the one at Tuticorin, it is necessary to take timely decision of scrapping the project.”

Industries minister Subhash Desai said the secretary from the industries department has sent a file to the chief minister to ask for permission to begin the process of scrapping the notification.

Desai said Fadnavis assured the Sena ministers to take an appropriate decision about the project.

In April, Desai at a Sena rally in Nanar, had unilaterally announced that the government would scrap the notification for the refinery.

Fadnavis had then clarified that the decision of the cancellation of the notification could be taken only by a high power committee headed by the chief secretary and the industries minister did not have powers for the same. Officials from the industries department had clarified that mere orders of the minister cannot scrap the notification without comprehensive assessment of the situation and the opinions by various departments. The notification was issued in May 2017 for the acquisition of land from 17 villages.

The Shiv Sena has been on a back foot over the refinery. It has been forced to oppose the project given the opposition by farmers in Nanar. Locals have also questioned the intent of the party, as the project has not been cancelled so far, despite the announcement to scrap the notification for the same.

First Published: Jun 05, 2018 23:23 IST