Birthday bash held for double-murder convict in Bihar jail, 7 guards suspended
A video of a double-murder convict having a birthday bash in Bihar’s Sitamarhi jail has gone viral on social media, leading to the suspension of seven prisons guards on Sunday.
In the mobile phone clip, Pintu Tiwari is seen cutting a cake as his fellow inmates sing ‘Happy Birthday’ to him. He is also seen receiving gifts and having a feast along with other prisoners.
Muzaffarpur Central Jail Superintendent Rajiv Kumar Singh said seven Sitamarhi jail guards were suspended in connection with the incident.
State Director General of Police (DGP) Gupteshwar Pandey said, “I have talked to the jail authorities and an investigation has been ordered.”
A five-member team has also been constituted to probe the matter.
Based on the video, a case has been registered against 18 inmates.
The jail authorities conducted a late-night raid on Saturday and seized seven smartphones from prisoners.
Tiwari, a member of Santosh Jha gang, is serving life imprisonment in connection with the 2015 murder case of two engineers in Darbhanga.
Several other cases are pending against him.
(The story has been published from a wire feed without any modifications to the text, only the headline has been changed.)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Kumar had earlier in his address referred to the Patna HC’s endeavour in 2006, soon after he took over the reins of the state, to help establish the rule of law by ensuring speedy trials so that wrongdoers could get punishment.
- In 2020, Patna scored 1552.11 out of 6,000 points with zero score in certification category.
- Rakesh Kumar Singh, former block pramukh told the IG that nothing had been done by the SHO to stop illegal activities in the village.
- Vitreoretinal disorders are a group of eye conditions concerning the retina and the vitreous in the eyes.
- Responding to concerns expressed by members across party lines, the minister assured the Legislative Council that he would personally look into the issue of inordinate delay in land mutations.
- A few non-medical faculties had previously got enrolled as assessors, prompting the NMC to be specific about excluding non-medical faculties.
- Bihar revenue department officials and some circle officers will enlist practical problems they might face in implementing the new process.
- The minister also admitted that about 63.5% of children in the age group of six months to five years were found to be anaemic in the state.
- Nitish Kumar said his government was working on an agreement with the Tata technical group for skilling the youth in the state in areas such as electric vehicles maintenance, advance welding, 3D printing etc.
- Petrol and diesel prices are much cheaper in neighbouring Nepal, which, ironically, imports almost all of its petroleum products from India.
- Deputy chief minister Tarkishore Prasad directed the forest department to develop parks for relaxation and rejuvenation. The decision was later approved by the state Cabinet.
- Both the Scorpio and truck were caught in a head on collision at a great speed which resulted in the deaths of six persons including the driver on the spot.