Month after KJ Singh’s murder: Mohali police release pictures of 5 suspects ‘seen doing recce’
KJ Singh and his mother were found murdered on September 23 afternoon but the post-mortems revealed they had been stabbed and strangulated the previous night by more than one intruder.punjab Updated: Oct 22, 2017 09:30 IST
A month after the murder of senior journalist KJ Singh and his bed-ridden mother Gurcharan Kaur in Mohali, the police on Saturday released photographs of five suspects.
The photographs have been culled from footage of closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras installed near KJ’s house and market in Phase 3B2.
Mohali superintendent of police (SP) Harbir Singh Atwal, who is part of the special investigating team (SIT) formed by the Punjab government, said the five youths — who seem to be in their 20s — were seen moving around KJ’s house and making videos of the area between 4pm to 6pm on September 22.
KJ Singh, 63, and Gurcharan Kaur, 92, were found murdered at their house on the afternoon of September 23. The postmortem confirmed that they were killed around 9pm the previous night. While KJ had suffered multiple stab wounds in his neck, stomach and chest, his mother had been strangulated.
‘Getting instructions from men in Scorpio’
The closed-circuit television (CCTV) grabs show three turbaned men along with two with short hair, one of whom is bearded.
“The five can be seen getting instructions from two men who were sitting in a white Mahindra Scorpio SUV,” said Atwal. “The Scorpio came outside KJ’s house once on the day of murder.” However, the number of the car is not clear, he said.
Police have zeroed in on the five suspects after detailed analysis of the CCTV footage. “During probe, we contacting over 600 people to identify the suspects, but to no avail,” said Atwal.
The SP said the blind double murder case is a big challenge for the department and they are trying their best to solve it.
“We are leaving no stone unturned,” he said. “However, so far we haven’t been able to get any substantial lead.” Police have been working on various angles since the murder and have quizzed several people.
Police theories so far
1) The analysis of phone calls made in the area before the murder has brought up the name of one Sonu. Cops are looking into it, said sources.
2) Cops have quizzed KJ’s kin regarding his property details and to see if there was any friction within the family. KJ’s mother had reportedly made changes to her will.
3) Police are also looking into whether it was a crime of passion. KJ’s former woman colleague with whom he had been talking through a dedicated SIM card has been questioned.
4) Police have also interrogated around 70 criminals involved in heinous crimes and contract killings.
5) Cops maintain that there was no forced entry into the house, pointing to the involvement of a person known to KJ.
First Published: Oct 21, 2017 14:15 IST