Chinese government confirms Indian student was murdered, 1 held

Updated on Aug 04, 2021 12:29 AM IST

Preliminary examination of the body and the crime scene by Tianjin police confirmed that Aman Nagsen was murdered, the Chinese foreign ministry told HT in a statement.

Aman Nagsen, a resident of Gaya in Bihar, was a student of international business studies at the university located in the city of Tianjin
Aman Nagsen, a resident of Gaya in Bihar, was a student of international business studies at the university located in the city of Tianjin
BySutirtho Patranobis, Beijing

The Chinese police have taken into custody a foreign student at Tianjin Foreign Studies University (TFSU) in connection with the murder of a 20-year-old Indian, a student at the same varsity, last week, people familiar with the development said.

Aman Nagsen, a resident of Gaya in Bihar, was a student of international business studies at the university located in the city of Tianjin, around 100km south of Beijing. He was found dead on the campus on July 29.

Preliminary examination of the body and the crime scene by Tianjin police confirmed that Nagsen was murdered, the Chinese foreign ministry told HT in a statement.

“Around 8pm on the night of July 29, Tianjin Municipal Public Security Bureau (PSB) received a call saying that an Indian student was lying on the floor of the dormitory with no sign of life,” the statement said.

“The initial investigation of the Public Security organ found the case to be homicide, and the suspect is another foreign student at the university. Compulsory measures have been taken on the suspect and the case is still under further investigation,” the statement added.

HT has separately learnt that Nagsen was stabbed to death with a sharp-edged weapon.

Neither the nationality of the suspect nor the motive behind the murder — what seems like a rare serious crime on a Chinese campus involving two foreigners — could be immediately confirmed. It also could not be known if the murder weapon was recovered by the investigators.

The Chinese foreign ministry said it was in communication with the Indian embassy in Beijing on the case. The Indian embassy was informed about the case first on July 30 and then again on the following day, it added. “Relevant Chinese competent authorities had notified the Indian embassy in Beijing of the situation of the case on July 30 and 31, respectively, and maintained communication with the embassy,” the statement said.

“The Chinese side will handle the case in accordance with law and offer active assistance in follow-up matters,” it added.

Meanwhile, Nagsen’s grieving family in Gaya continued its appeal to authorities in India and China for help in getting the body back.

“Let them continue with the investigation after sending the remains home. We beg the Chinese and Indian authorities,” the deceased’s uncle Pankaj Paswan said from Gaya.

An official from the Indian embassy is said to have gone to Tianjin to coordinate the release of the body with local Chinese authorities.

Get Latest World Newsalong with Latest Newsfrom Indiaat Hindustan Times.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
  • ABOUT THE AUTHOR

    Sutirtho Patranobis has been in Beijing since 2012, as Hindustan Times’ China correspondent. He was previously posted in Colombo, Sri Lanka, where he covered the final phase of the civil war and its aftermath. Patranobis covered several beats including health and national politics in Delhi before being posted abroad.

SHARE
Story Saved
OPEN APP
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
My Offers
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Wednesday, February 08, 2023
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now
Register Free and get Exciting Deals