Prince Harry, Elton John, 5 others ordered to pay Daily Mail $13 million over failed privacy invasion case
Prince Harry and others have been ordered to pay Daily Mail $13 million in initial court costs.
Prince Harry and six others were reportedly ordered on Friday to pay an initial 9.5 million pounds, which amounts to $13 million, to the publisher of Britain’s Daily Mail newspaper.

Justice Matthew Nicklin, in a judgment on Friday, said that the payment will be made by August 28, according to AP. This order came following their failed invasion of privacy case.
Also Read | Elizabeth Hurley describes 'monstrous' privacy invasion by Daily Mail in British media hacking case
What the judge said
Nicklin was critical of the way the claimants' case had been put.
"In my judgment, the cumulative effect of these matters takes the case well outside the norm. The conduct was unreasonable to a high degree," Reuters quoted Nicklin as saying.
What happened in court?
The claimants lost a High Court case in London after alleging malpractice, including illegal phone hacking, by Associated Newspapers. Meanwhile, the publisher had strongly denied all claims throughout the proceedings. It has stated it accumulated over £34 million during the case.
The ruling follows an 11-week trial that concluded on July 7, with Judge Nicklin citing a shortage of evidence to support the allegations.
The remainder of the costs will have to be reimbursed later by the claimants, who are insured for around half that total, the AP report said.
Also Read | Prince Harry and Meghan Markle planning to relocate to UK with family: Report
(with inputs from agencies)
ABOUT THE AUTHORHT News DeskFollow the latest breaking news, major developments and agenda-setting stories from India and around the world with the newsdesk at Hindustan Times. Operating round the clock, the desk brings together experienced editors, reporters and correspondents to deliver fast, accurate and contextual reporting across subjects that influence public policy, governance, business, society and international affairs. The HT News Desk covers politics, elections, government policies, the economy, business and markets, science and technology, the environment, law and order, infrastructure, education, climate issues and geopolitics, while closely tracking developments across states, institutions and global capitals. The team also leads coverage of major breaking news events, policy announcements, court proceedings, natural disasters, public emergencies and significant international developments. Reports published by the newsdesk are based on information gathered from reporters on the ground, official statements, government agencies, court records, regulatory filings, recognised institutions and other authoritative sources. Stories undergo editorial scrutiny and verification processes to ensure accuracy, fairness and relevance, and are updated as events evolve and additional information becomes available. Whether covering a key political decision in New Delhi, an economic policy shift affecting millions, a landmark court ruling or a major global event, the HT News Desk aims to provide readers with reliable, fact-based journalism that delivers not only the latest developments but also the context and analysis needed to understand their wider implications.Read More

E-Paper


