WHO chief calls Covid-19 ‘Public Enemy No. 1’, says ‘worst is yet ahead of us’

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus didn’t specify why he believes the outbreak that has infected some 2.5 million people and killed over 166,000 could get worse.
Director-General of the WHO Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, at a news conference on the novel coronavirus in Geneva, Switzerland.(Reuters File Photo)
Director-General of the WHO Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, at a news conference on the novel coronavirus in Geneva, Switzerland.(Reuters File Photo)
Updated on Apr 21, 2020 11:32 AM IST
Copy Link
Geneva | ByAssociated Press

The World Health Organization chief warned Monday that “the worst is yet ahead of us” in the coronavirus outbreak, reviving the alarm just as many countries ease restrictive measures aimed at reducing its spread.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus didn’t specify why he believes the outbreak that has infected some 2.5 million people and killed over 166,000 could get worse. He and others, however, have previously pointed to the likely future spread of the illness through Africa, where health systems are far less developed.

Also read: Oil plunges below $0 for the first time in history amid Covid-19 crisis

“Trust us. The worst is yet ahead of us,” Tedros told reporters from WHO headquarters in Geneva. “Let’s prevent this tragedy. It’s a virus that many people still don’t understand.”

 Watch | ‘Worst is yet ahead’: WHO warns that lockdowns alone won’t end Covid pandemic

Some Asian and European governments have gradually eased or started relaxing “lockdown” measures like quarantines, school and business closures and restrictions on public gatherings, citing a decline in the growth of Covid-19 case counts and deaths.

Tedros and his agency have been on the defensive after President Donald Trump of the United States — the WHO’s biggest single donor — last week ordered a halt to US funding for the agency, alleging that it botched the early response to the outbreak.

Also read: Donald Trump eyes Saudi oil import ban, SPR fill as prices go negative

Among other things, Trump insisted WHO had failed to adequately share “in a timely and transparent” way information about the outbreak after it erupted in China late last year.

Tedros said: “There is no secret in WHO because keeping things confidential or secret is dangerous. It’s a health issue.”

“This virus is dangerous. It exploits cracks between us when we have differences,” he said.

Tedros said US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention staffers have been seconded to work with his agency, suggesting that was a sign of WHO’s transparency.

“Having CDC staff (at WHO) means there is nothing hidden from the U.S. from Day One” Tedros said. “Our CDC colleagues also know that we give information immediately to anyone.”

In one of his starkest comparisons yet, the UN health agency chief also alluded to the so-called Spanish flu more than a century ago, saying the coronavirus has a “very dangerous combination ... like the 1918 flu that killed up to 100 million people.”

Tedros called the illness “Public Enemy No. 1,” and said: “We have been warning from Day One: This is a devil that everybody should fight.”

Click here for complete coronavirus coverage

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • Abortion-rights protesters attend a rally following the United States Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, federally protected right to abortion, outside the state capitol.

    Instagram, Facebook delete posts offering abortion pills to US women

    Facebook and Instagram have begun promptly removing posts that offer abortion pills to women who may not be able to access them following a Supreme Court decision that stripped away constitutional protections for the procedure. Such social media posts ostensibly aimed to help women living in states where preexisting laws banning abortion suddenly snapped into effect on Friday. Some even offered to mail the prescriptions to women living in states that now ban the procedure.

  • Passengers, some wearing full personal protective equipment, waiting to be transported by bus to their quarantine hotels, after arriving at Pudong International Airport in Shanghai, in January 2022. (AFP)

    Amid flu outbreak in south China, experts warn of dual risk from influenza and Covid: Report

    A flu outbreak in southern China has led to a shortage of medicines with doctors warning of dual health risks from influenza and sporadic Covid-19 outbreaks, a state media report said on Monday. Weakened herd immunity caused by continuous Covid-19 prevention measures,including lockdowns, may be partly to blame for the abnormal spike in influenza cases at this time of the year, experts said, according to a report in the Global Times.

  • Chinese President Xi Jinping hosts the 14th BRICS Summit via video link from Beijing, Thursday, June 23, 2022. (Li Tao/Xinhua via AP)

    Two new countries apply to join BRICS, will 'add value'. Details inside

    Two new countries - Iran and Argentina - have applied to join the increasingly influential BRICS - Brazi, Russia, India, China and South Africa - grouping, an Iranian official said Monday, according to news agency Reuters. The official said Iran's inclusion in BRICS would result in 'added values for both sides'. Argentina president Alberto Fernandez wrote on Telegram '... Argentina and Iran applied to join the BRICS'.

  • China halves quarantine time for overseas travellers

    China halves quarantine time for overseas travellers

    China on Tuesday reduced the length of mandatory quarantine for inbound travellers, in the biggest relaxation of entry restrictions after sticking to a rigid zero Covid policy throughout the pandemic. Read: Indian Navy has questions on China's new aircraft carrier Fujian Since then overseas arrivals have faced weeks of strict monitoring and costly quarantine in hotels and designated centres.

  • French President Emmanuel Macron 

    On bid to cut oil prices, what Macron has been told by UAE, Saudi

    Two top OPEC oil producers, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, can barely increase oil production, French President Emmanuel Macron on Monday said he had been told by the UAE's president. Read: France holds parliamentary election in vital test for Macron "And then he said (the) Saudis can increase by 150 (thousands barrels per day). Maybe a little bit more, but they don't have huge capacities before six months' time," Macron said.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Tuesday, June 28, 2022