Karan Johar’s excited and we have ‘mentor’ Aditya Chopra to thank
Yash Raj Films (YRF) teased us for days. They promised a “big announcement” on Bollywood’s favourite director, the late Yash Chopra’s birthday on Sunday. And big announcement they did make. One that had even Karan Johar excited.
Yes, you guessed correct: The Kuch Kuch Hota Hai filmmaker is “happy” about “mentor” Aditya Chopra’s upcoming directorial venture Befikre.
As you now know, the YRF honcho, who last directed Shah Rukh Khan-starrer Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi in 2008, announced on Twitter that he will return to the director’s chair. He made the announcement on his father Yash Chopra’s 83rd birth anniversary.
The Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge helmer is returning to direction after seven years with his new project titled Befikre – Those Who Dare To Love, a YRF note said.
The news was also disclosed in the form of an emotional, imaginary conversation between Aditya and his late father, where the former tells the legendary filmmaker that Befikre will be his youngest and riskiest movie ever.
Aditya also says that he is not expecting the movie to make Rs 100 crores at the box office and his aim with Befikre is to free himself of the burden of “numbers”.
Karan entered the film industry as an assistant director on Aditya’s directorial debut Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge. He also had a cameo in the Shah Rukh Khan-Kajol-starrer blockbuster. Karan and Aditya have been close friends since then.
“Aditya chopra is my mentor and my teacher....nothing makes me happier than to see him doing what he does best!!! #Befikre,” tweeted Karan, who is currently filming his next directorial venture “Ae Dil Hai Mushkil” with Ranbir Kapoor, Anushka Sharma and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan.
Actor Uday Chopra also expressed his happiness over his brother’s return to direction.
“Happy birth anniversary dad!! And happy to see my brother’s next movie being announced today #Befikre #TodayIsAGoodDay”.
Ali Abbas Zafar, who directed YRF’s Gunday and is gearing for the banner’s next Sultan, starring Salman Khan, posted on Twitter, “Happy birthday Yash ji one filmmaker that inspired me the most and what a special gift by Adi to him Befikre”.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Alia Bhatt shared a number of fan-made videos, where they have recreated some scenes and dialogues from the teaser of Gangubai Kathiawadi.
- Bhumi Pednekar has shared a video from her recent visit to the house where she and Ayushmann Khurrana shot for Dum Laga Ke Haisha six years ago.
- A picture of Ajay Devgn on the set of Alia Bhatt's Gangubai Kathiawadi was shared online. Also in the picture is director Sanjay Leela Bhansali.
- Neena Gupta plays an old woman and Arjun Kapoor is her grandson in the Kaashivie Nair film Sardar Ka Grandson that premiers on Netflix soon.
- Neena Gupta has said she did not want Masaba to go to Goa with friends. The senior actor also went to Goa and stayed separately, only to receive a call from her daughter as she cried.
- Disha Patani is in awe of rumoured boyfriend Tiger Shroff's dancing abilities. Sister Krishna Shroff agrees too. See here.
- Raveena Tandon took to her Instagram to show off daughter Rasha Thadani's achievement, as she teenager earned her blackbelt in Taekwondo. See her post here.