Sajid-Wajid didn't face copyright issues with Chalat Musafir
While it is a fad in Bollywood to remix old melodies, the music directors of Dabangg 2 have tried their hand at something different. In the recently released song from the film Pandeyji Seeti Maare, Sajid-Wajid have used the tune of the famous Chalat Musafir song from Teesri Kasam (1966).
Sajid says, "The tune of this evergreen song, Chalat Musafir comes after the mukhada (verse) of our song. It is subtly used, but got noticed by people. When we were jamming to create the songs, we thought of using the folk tune and the film too is based in north India, so there is a connect."
Composed by Shankar-Jaikishan, Chalat Musafir is a folk song, sung by Manna Dey. The original song starred Raj Kapoor and Waheeda Rahman.
Thrilled by the response to the new track, Sajid says, "It has been fabulous. When Salman heard it he was all smiles as well and loved it instantly."While old songs have been remade before, composers sometimes get into trouble over copyright issues. Sajid-Wajid, however, didn't have to deal with buying rights. "We didn't have to buy the rights as the song is a folk tune. Folk songs are our treasure and we are proud to use them in our movies," he says. "Everyone who has heard it has a smile on their face when they realise which tune it is. The film is Dabangg 2, so we wanted the song to have double josh (energy)," Sajid says with a smile.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- After wearing a T-shirt with 'let's smash patriarchy' printed on it just ahead of her arrest last year, Rhea Chakraborty made a fresh statement with her clothes on Sunday, by wearing a hoodie with 'Man up' written on it.
- Arjun Kapoor and Malaika Arora were spotted at Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan's residence in Mumbai on Sunday. During his visit, Arjun was captured scolding a photographer for climbing the wall of Kareena's building.
- Actor Kareena Kapoor Khan has shared the first picture of herself after becoming a mother for the second time. "Missed you all," she wrote. See the picture here.
- Alia Bhatt is also a producer now. The Gangubai Kathiawadi actor shared the news and said how she intends to tell happy and real tales.
- Amitabh Bachchan's granddaughter Navya Naveli Nanda shared new pictures with her friends. See them here.
- Interior designer Gauri Khan shared a throwback picture with actor-husband Shah Rukh Khan. See it here.
- Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor Khan, who welcomed their second son earlier this month, got a visit from Arjun Kapoor, Malaika Arora and Karisma Kapoor.
- Kangana Ranaut played hostess for the team of Tejas, as they went to her house on Sunday for a meeting. She shared pictures of the get-together, giving fans a glimpse of her home as well.
- Aamna Imran, dubbed as Aishwarya Rai's doppelgänger, took the internet by storm this weekend with her uncanny resemblance to the Bollywood actor. The Pakistani social media influencer has revealed that she has an Indian connect.
- Roohi actor Varun Sharma opened up about his love life in a recent interview. He recalled bonding with a girl he liked from school when his mother was busy watching Kasautii Zindagi Kay.
- Anil Kapoor reveals he had really looked forward to shooting a scene that had him taking a stand for his onscreen daughter, Priyanka Chopra, in the film Dil Dhadakne Do.