Sanjana Sanghi talks about balancing studies and shoots, says practice papers were mailed to her in Kashmir during Rockstar
At the age of 13, Sanjana Sanghi was spotted performing in school by casting director Mukesh Chhabra and cast in Imtiaz Ali’s Rockstar as Nargis Fakhri’s younger sister. From an early age, she got used to juggling between her studies and shoots, as she worked in more than a hundred advertisements in her school and college days.
Sanjana, who is a gold medallist from the University of Delhi, never sacrificed her studies at the altar of her decision to become an actor. She said that though she was never excused from any class work, her teachers helped her balance studies and work.
“Teachers always helped in that they knew I was coming from a place where I cared a lot about everything happening in the classroom, but had a burning itch to do a whole lot outside of it too, and always be performing on stage. And they would help me out with things like attendance, knowing I would definitely study and get the work done even if I was not in class or was busy with a club or society,” she said.
Reminiscing an incident from the shoot of Rockstar, Sanjana said, “I have had to do all sorts of things like have my practice papers couriered to me while I was shooting in Kashmir, completed them, and couriered them back to my teachers because I was shooting for Rockstar just before my ninth grade final exams.”
Sanjana also talked about missing out on a lot of things as a student. “I would work part-time at different organisations every summer and winter break through college, miss most college fests because I would be shooting, not be able to make it to important friends’ and family’s celebrations. It would irk me initially, but then I learned to make my peace with it,” she said.
Sanjana, who also did small roles in Hindi Medium and Fukrey Returns, made her debut in a leading role with Mukesh Chhabra’s Dil Bechara. Her performance was widely appreciated and she recently topped IMDb’s list of breakout stars in Indian streaming content this year. Currently, she is shooting for Kapil Verma’s Om: The Battle Within, in which she is paired opposite Aditya Roy Kapur.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Videos of Shraddha Kapoor dancing at her cousin Priyaank Sharma's wedding in the Maldives are going viral on the internet.
- Alia Bhatt was seen in a bridal avatar in her new advertisement. Fans loved it and wished to see her get married in real life too. She is in a relationship with Ranbir Kapoor.
- Anil Kapoor joked that Jackie Shroff has threatened to slap him multiple times unless he confirms a film together. The two have starred in 12 films together, till date.
- Mika Singh talked about marriage on Indian Pro Music League. He said that he is the ‘only forever bachelor’ after Salman Khan and wishes to keep his tag for some time.
- Anushka Sharma and Virat Kohli met in a rather unconventional manner, during an ad shoot. While she was confident, he was a 'jittery and nervous'. Read the rest of the story here.
- Sharing how meeting a girl at an education programme led her to discover her bisexuality, Shonali Bose says, 'I hope, the youth today doesn’t have that shame'.
- Film producer Rhea Kapoor got love from a number of Bollywood beauties including Kareena Kapoor, Malaika Arora, Karisma Kapoor on her birthday.