The word feminist has been bastardised, says Priyanka Chopra
Be it Aamir Khan’s remarks on intolerance in the country, or Ranveer Singh and Arjun Kapoor’s jokes during the AIB roast last year — there have been instances when Bollywood celebrities have come under the scanner for their words or actions.
Claiming that she is ‘not afraid of having an opinion’, Priyanka Chopra asserts that she isn’t “necessarily being brash” just because “she’s a feminist”. “I don’t say things just because I’m a feminist and I believe in woman power. That word (feminist) has been bastardized; there’s no respect to it anymore. I’m not berating men,” she says.
Recently, in an interview, she stated that she would “beat the shit out of her man” if he ever cheats on her. While several people criticised her for being “violent”, some even called her “sexist” on social media. Reacting to the comments, Priyanka says, “It was a joke. Obviously, I’m not going to be violent. But the way it was written, it made it seem like I was serious and that I’ll actually whip the person. It was an analogy of the passion that I would feel [if a man cheats on me], not physical violence.”
In one of her past interviews, the actor had said that celebrities often become “soft targets” for the public and the media. Yet, she doesn’t refrain from speaking her mind whenever required. “I know I should be diplomatic, but I’m a girl with an opinion. I’m not afraid of having one,” says Priyanka, adding, “I’m told all the time by my team and my family to shut up and not always say what’s on the tip of my tongue.”
The actor has been spending most of her time in the US, where she is shooting for her ongoing television series. Ask her if she feels scared at times, especially post the gruesome Orlando shootings, and the actor says, “No, I’m not scared because things can happen anywhere you go. It’s not just in India, America, Lebanon; it’s happening everywhere we go. Violence has become the face of terror today, and that’s a global problem. The value of life is becoming less important.”
Follow @htshowbiz for more.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Shah Rukh Khan's daughter, Suhana Khan, has shared a new picture on Instagram Stories, showing off her necklace collection.
- Sushant Singh Rajput's niece, Mallika Singh, shared precious memories with him on his birth anniversary. She said that she misses him ‘more than (he) can ever imagine’.
- Mira Rajput has shared new pictures from her Goa vacation with Shahid Kapoor. See her latest posts here.
- Kangana Ranaut criticised Twitter after a representative justified temporary restriction of her account, citing her now-deleted anti-Tandav tweet.
- Anil Kapoor was sceptical about playing Priyanka Chopra's father in Dil Dhadakne Do, as they were offered films as a romantic pair in the past. His son, Harsh Varrdhan Kapoor, convinced him to take up the role.
- Actor Tiger Shroff's sister, Krishna, has shared a special post on her 28th birthday, and Disha Patani is in awe. Check it out here.
- Actor Arjun Rampal has shared a new video with his son, Arik. His partner, Gabriella Demetriades, loves it.
- Varun Dhawan evaded commenting on his upcoming wedding with Natasha Dalal in Alibaug when photographers congratulated him. Watch the video here.
- Renuka Shahane, whose parents separated when she was eight years old, was ostracised by other children because she came from a 'broken family'.
- Late actor Sushant Singh Rajput's last co-star, Sanjana Sanghi, has paid tribute to him on his birth anniversary on Thursday.
- Sushant Singh Rajput's sister Priyanka Singh paid an emotional tribute to him on his birth anniversary. She appealed to him to respond as the 'eventuality of (his) silence is too loud to bear'.
- Actor Swara Bhasker has said that it is advisable to have a plan B in place before aspiring actors attempt to realise their Bollywood dreams.