Darren Bravo axed by West Indies board for ‘big idiot’ tweet
The left-handed batsman vented his ire on Twitter against West Indies board chief, Dave Cameron after getting only a C category contract.cricket Updated: Nov 12, 2016 23:25 IST
St. John’s, Antigua
West Indies batsman Darren Bravo was axed by the regional cricket board on Saturday after he blasted its president as “a big idiot” in a row over contracts.
Bravo, 27, was dropped from the squad for the upcoming Tri-series in Zimbabwe after he hit out at the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) for their offer of a C-category contract. In a Twitter outburst, the Trinidadian told WICB president Dave Cameron to quit over the handling of new deals to the senior players.
“You have been failing 4 d last 4yrs. Y don’t u resign and FYI I’ve neva been given an A contract. Big idiot @davec51,” tweeted Bravo. The batsman was referring to a media comment by Cameron explaining that Bravo’s performances did not merit being placed in a higher category.
A WICB spokesman said Bravo had been replaced in the squad by all-rounder Jason Mohammed “due to inappropriate and unacceptable behaviour, which is contrary to his contractual obligations to the WICB”.
Bravo has made 95 ODI appearances, scoring 2,595 runs.
Mohammed, 30, recently captained West Indies A in the 3-0 series win over Sri Lanka A in Sri Lanka where he scored 105 not out, 58 and 14.
Leg-spinner Devendra Bishoo has replaced off-spinner Sunil Narine, who has withdrawn from the squad for “personal reasons”. Bishoo was the leading bowler for West Indies in the recent Test series against Pakistan in United Arab Emirates, taking 18 wickets in three matches.
West Indies, Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka feature in the Tri-series from November 14-27.