IIM Amritsar gets rolling with 50 students on board
Punjab minister for higher education and languages Surjit Singh Rakhra welcomed the students of first batch of Indian Institute of Management (IIM) to be set up in the state, in Amritsar, at the auditorium of Guru Nanak Dev University on Thursday.
The minister, while launching the IIM, said, “Inaugurating an IIM in Amritsar is a benchmark event in the history of education sector in India. This also signifies the emergence of Punjab as an education hub.”
He also welcomed the 50 students who, for now be taught in classes at a temporary campus within the premises of the Punjab Institute of Technology.
“The state government welcomes the first batch of students enrolled in the programme. The government will provide the best facilities to the students and ensure a comfortable stay for students,” the minister added.
‘Quality of education paramount’
With the state’s first IIM now functioning, mentor director Professor Kulbhushan Balooni of the institute, who is also IIM Kozhikode director, shared his course of action with Hindustan Times.
“Till Sunday, we have the orientation where a team from IIM Kozhikode will interact with students and present cases studies to students. Regular classes will start from August 10,” Balooni said, adding that IIM Kozhikode was mentoring IIM Amritsar.
“Till the time, the human resources development ministry does not appoint a director for IIM Amritsar, I will function as the mentor director and experienced faculty from IIM Kozikode will be visiting in batches to take classes. No matter what, like IIM Kozikode even at IIM Amritsar, a minimum four sessions would be held every day. We would also get guest speakers from other industries.”
On the objectives, Balooni said, “Classes at other IIMs started from July 1. By the second semester, we will be on a par with these institutes as far as curriculum covered is concerned. There will be teething problems. However, with students like you, we will make sure the institute is recognised for academic excellence very soon.”
He added that within a maximum of three years from now, the IIM will shift to its 60-acre campus near Manawala, after the construction of the building is complete.
“The state government and the district administration, especially the deputy commissioner Ravi Bhagat have gone out of the way to support us. I am sure the project for construction of the building at Manawala would be finished within the deadline,” he added.
“No stone would be left unturned to provide best facilities to students as IIMs do not lack money. Right now, we aim to ensure that curriculum is completed within the set schedule and these students get on a par with other IIMs in this respect,” Balooni concluded.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Candidates who have qualified in the IBPS PO Prelims Exam can download their admit card for IBPS PO mains online at ibps.in on or before February 4, 2021.
- Candidates who have applied for admission can check the AP EAMCET second phase allotment result 2020 online at apeamcet.nic.in.
- Patnaik had launched the "Mo School" campaign in November 2017 in response to philanthropic interest from alumni of schools of Odisha, residing in India and abroad.
- Universities need to explore the uncharted path and innovative methods when it comes to pedagogy, and playing the role of facilitators in a student's journey of finding their goals and preparing them for their future.
- Ramola was selected for the award for his achievements in the field of art and culture. He has been conferred, according to him, with 19 international awards, 38 national awards, and over 70 state and district awards.
- According to the notification, candidates appearing for the ICAI CA January 2021 examinations at Central Public School, Jaldhari Chowk, Madhubani, Bihar, will now have to appear for the examinations at Central Public School at Gandhi Chowk, Madhubani.
- Candidates who have registered for the NIFT entrance exam 2021 can make corrections in their application forms online at nift.ac.in on or before January 28, 2021.
- Candidates can download the Assam Police SI PET/PST Admit Card from the official website of State Level Police Recruitment Board (SLPRB), Assam.
- Candidates who have appeared in the preliminary examination can check the UP Legislative Answer Key online at uplegisassemblyrecruitment.in.