NEET and JEE Main 2020: Supreme Court rejects plea seeking postponement of exams
NEET and JEE Main 2020: The Supreme Court on Monday rejected the plea seeking postponement of NEET and JEE examinations 2020. A three-judge bench headed by Justice Arun Mishra said that “life has to go on” despite Covid and the court cannot put career of students in peril by interfering with the decision of the National Testing Agency.
“Career of students cannot be put in peril. We find no merit in the petition. The petition is dismissed”, the bench which also comprised justices BR Gavai and Krishna Murari said.
“You (lawyers) have demanded opening of physical courts. But you want exams to be postponed. Postponment of exams is a loss for country,” the bench said.
Petitioner’s lawyer Alakh Alok Srivastava said that vaccine for Covid is “on its way” and he is not seeking an indefinite postponment of the exams. But the bench found no merit in the case.
Another petition praying that NEET and JEE should be held as per schedule, was withdrawn by the petitioner after the court rejected the plea seeking postponement.
Earlier this month, a plea was filed before the Supreme Court by 11 students belonging to 11 states seeking the postponement of JEE and NEET 2020 exams till the situation due to the covid-19 pandemic normalizes. The plea sought quashing of National Testing Agency’s (NTA) July 3 notice, to hold of JEE and NEET entrance examination in September.
As per the public notices notified by the NTA, JEE (Main) 2020 exam is scheduled to be held from September 1-6, while the NEET-UG 2020 exam is scheduled for September 13.
Conducting JEE and NEET at this stage will put lives of lakhs of young students in danger, the petition filed by 11 JEE/NEET aspirants said. “The best recourse at this stage can be to wait for some more time, let Covid-19 Crisis subside and then only conduct these Exams, in order to save the lives of the students and their parents,” the petition said.
Earlier, JEE mains was scheduled to be conducted in April and May respectively, which was later postponed due to the Covid-19 disease outbreak.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- BSEB Class 12th Admit Card 2021: Bihar School Examination Board (BSEB) will on Saturday release the admit card for class 12th board exams 2021 on its official website seniorsecondary.biharboardonline.com.
- SSC CHSL Results: Candidates who have appeared in the SSC CHSL Tier 1 exam 2019 can check their results by visiting ssc.nic.in.
- Staff Selection Commission (SSC) on Friday declared the Combined Higher Secondary Level (CHSL) tier 1 exam result 2019 and cutoff marks on its official website-ssc.nic.in.
- Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) has extended the deadline for re-registration for January 2021 session till January 31.
- National Institute of Open Schooling on Friday released class 10th, 12th admit card for January/February 2021 exams. Candidates who are registered for the exams can download their admit card from the official website at nios.ac.in.
- The online application window for Electronics Corporation of India Limited (ECIL) recruitment for the posts of graduate engineer apprentice (GEA) and Technical Diploma Apprentice (TA), will close on January 15
- IBPS PO Result 2020: The Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) on Thursday declared the results for Probationary Officer/ Management Trainee CRP-X prelims examination on its official website at ibps.in.
- JKSSB Recruitment: The online registration window of the Jammu and Kashmir Services Selection Board (JKSSB) recruitment for District/Divisional/UT Cadre posts of various departments under provisions of the Jammu and Kashmir Civil Services will close on Saturday, January 16, 2021.
- NTA on Thursday released an official notice alerting the applicants of JEE Main 2021 against some unscrupulous elements who have created a fake website - jeeguide.co.in in the name of JEE Main 2021 through which online application and fee payments are being solicited from the aspirants.