10 foods that cause constipation, avoid them for better digestion
Constipation could be caused by an unhealthy diet. Make simple lifestyle modifications and avoid these foods for better bowel movement.Updated: Aug 11, 2018 13:36 IST
Your diet doesn’t just impact your weight loss and fitness goals. It can also create problems in your digestion process leading to constipation, especially if it doesn’t contain enough fibre that can be obtained from fruits and vegetables, or probiotics like yoghurt. While fast foods may seem to be the most obvious cause of constipation, it is not the only culprit.
Here are 10 foods that you should avoid to prevent constipation:
* Caffeine: While caffeine can lead to more bowel movements as it is a stimulant, if you are dehydrated, it can worsen your constipation. And it’s not just coffee, even black tea, colas, and chocolate can contain caffeine.
* White rice: White rice is polished and its husk and bran is removed which means the fibre content is less. That can lead to constipation. Instead, opt for brown rice which still contains the husk and bran.
* Red meat:Red meatis high-fat and takes longer to digest. It also has tougher protein fibres that may not be easy for the stomach to process.
* White bread: White flour is notorious for constipation. Avoid cakes, biscuits, white bread and crackers as these are low in fibre and high on starch. Instead, opt for whole grains.
* Alcohol: Alcohol can slow down your digestion and is also dehydrating which can worsen constipation. Instead, drink lots of water to ensure smooth bowel movements.
* Fast food: Chips, fries, burgers and pizzas could be causing you to suffer from constipation. They lack fibre and nutritional value and are high in fat.
* Dairy: If you consume milk, cheese or ice cream in excess, it can lead to constipation. The lactose in dairy could be to blame as it makes you feel bloated and increases gas.
* Unripe bananas: Bananas work to smoothen your digestion but the unripe ones can cause constipation. They are loaded with resistant starch that is tougher for the body to digest. They also contain tannins which reduce the speed at which foods are processed through the gut.
* Refined sugar: Sugar doesn’t just cause obesity and aggravate diabetes. It is full of empty calories and affects your colon health as well. It can contribute to inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn’s and IBS as well as increase risk of developing colon cancer.
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more
First Published: Aug 11, 2018 13:35 IST