Take 3 vacations a year to boost your longevity, good health
Want to have a long life? Besides leading a healthy lifestyle, taking at least three vacations a year between your work schedule seems to be the key, especially for men, suggested a study. People with shorter vacations worked more and slept lesser than those who took longer vacations, which took a toll on their health and affected their life span.
Compared with those who took more than three weeks, men who took three weeks or less annual leave from their regular work schedule were found to be 37% more likely to die early, the study showed. “Don’t think that having an otherwise healthy lifestyle will compensate for working too hard and not taking holidays,” said Timo Strandberg, Professor at the University of Helsinki in Finland. “Vacations can be a good way to relieve stress,” he added.
The study, presented at the annual conference of the European Society of Cardiology in Germany, included 1,222 middle-aged male executives, and were randomised into a control group or an intervention group. The intervention group received oral and written advice every four months to do aerobic physical activity, eat a healthy diet, achieve a healthy weight and stop smoking.
Men in the control group received usual healthcare and were not seen by the investigators. Shorter vacations were associated with excess deaths in the intervention group. Vacation time had no impact on risk of death in the control group. “However, our results do not indicate that health education is harmful. Rather, they suggest that stress reduction is an essential part of programmes aimed at reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases,” Strandberg cautioned.
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Vicky Kaushal recently shared a glimpse of himself sweating it hard in the gym in order to earn his weekend cheat meal. We can say that the clip is inspiring us to start our Sunday with a fitness session as well.
- Being high in fiber and sugar content, dates or khajur often leave people speculating about whether they should be consumed after soaking over night or raw or on empty stomach or before going to bed. Read on to know when is the best and worst time to eat dates
- Katrina Kaif recently hosted an Ask Me Anything session on Instagram and shared never seen before images and videos with her fans. She also posted about her healthy breakfast and intense fitness routine.
- Aditi Rao Hydari shows you how to do weight training without actually using weights in her latest fitness clip. Saying that this video is hilarious would be an understatement.
- A study done in the USA showed that wearing masks can actually curb the spread of the novel coronavirus. However, dining at restaurants, both in open area and inside, can increase the number of Covid-19 cases and deaths.