Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 15, 2018-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

East Bengal ride Robin Singh’s brace to beat Chennai City FC in Federation Cup

Robin Singh scored two goals in either half as East Bengal beat Chennai City FC 2-0 in a Federation Cup match. The Kolkata giants now have four points from two matches.

football Updated: May 10, 2017 01:24 IST
East Bengal FC,Chennai City FC,Robin Singh
East Bengal's Robin Singh scored two goals against Chennai City FC in the Federation Cup.(AFP)

East Bengal defeated Chennai City FC 2-0 to register their first win of the 38th Federation Cup at the Barabati Stadium in Cuttack on Tuesday. The Kolkata giants now have four points from two matches.

Strikes from Robin Singh (45+1’, 76’) led the Red and Golds to the hard-earned win over the southern outfit. Chennai City FC slumped to their second defeat of the tournament and are at the bottom of the table.

East Bengal pressed for an early goal and almost took the lead in the sixth minute when Narayan Das’s header was cleared by goalkeeper Karanjit Singh. Seven minutes later, Robin’s left footed shot from 25 yards was parried away by Karanjit.

The Red and Golds turned up the heat and piled pressure on the Chennai defence line; courtesy of attacks led by Robin from the front and Wedson Anselme from the wing.

However, it took a mistake Chennai City FC to open the goal gates.

In the dying embers of the first half, Singh capitalised on an uncanny clearance from the Chennai City FC defence and scored from inside the box to give East Bengal the lead going into half-time.

Clear goal-scoring chances became rare for both teams as both trod with caution in the second half. The play became largely confined to the midfield with little spells enjoyed by either team in the final third - though for Chennai City FC lack of manpower up front prevented a clear scoring opportunity, while for East Bengal, the Chennai defence made life difficult.

In the 72nd minute, Karanjit made a save to deny Robin’s header from close range and the Red and Golds searched for a goal to extend their lead. The second goal came in the 76th minute when Robin Singh converted from the spot after Ravanan’s handball in the box had prompted the referee to give the penalty kick.

A healthy lead of two goals all but ensured East Bengal of the win and at the end of time, the scoreline read 2-0 in their favour.

First Published: May 09, 2017 19:21 IST