Lashkar denies hand in Varanasi blasts
LeT statement comes four days after Lashkar-e-Qahab owned responsibility for Varanasi blasts.india Updated: Mar 16, 2006 12:48 IST
Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) on Sunday denied its involvement in last week's Varanasi blasts and said it had no connection with those arrested in Uttar Pradesh and Goa.
"The blasts at Varanasi were aimed at defaming 'jihad' in Kashmir," LeT spokesman Abu Huzaifa told a local news agency in Srinagar.
He claimed that the blasts at public places in the country, including Jammu and Kashmir, were being engineered by "Indian secret agencies".
"We have no hand in such acts," the spokesman said.
The LeT spokesman also denied that those arrested in Uttar Pradesh and Goa had any connection with the outfit.
The LeT statement comes four days after a hitherto unknown group Lashkar-e-Qahab owned responsibility for the two blasts in Varanasi which claimed 28 lives and left over 50 others injured.
A caller introducing himself as a spokesman of the outfit, Abu Feroz, contacted a private TV channel here and claimed his outfit was responsible for the twin blasts.