Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 23, 2018-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Nitish largesse to end jungle raj

In all, a criminal who surrenders will get benefits up to Rs 2 lakh, of which 25 per cent will be given by the government while the remaining 75 per cent will be given as loan.

india Updated: Mar 20, 2006 01:51 IST

Bihar's criminals have never had it so good, especially those who want to give up arms. And the fancier their weapons, the better the pay-off.

The state government has struck on a novel idea to get criminals to surrender. So there's cash on offer, rehabilitation and free legal help for those who wish to become law-abiding citizens. It is even offering good money for the weapons they may bring in.

The government has the rates all fixed. It has already announced that a sum of Rs 10,000 will be paid in cash to the gangster at the time of surrender. It will give Rs 3,000 to his family till his name is included in the list of beneficiaries of the rehabilitation scheme, said a senior state administration official on Saturday.

The surrendered criminal will be rehabilitated in a place of his choice, keeping in mind the security issue. Those who don't have a house or land will be allotted housing units under the Indira Awas Yojna, while others will be given housing loans from financing agencies like banks or Hudco.

The rates for surrendered weapons have also been fixed: Rs 25,000 for rocket launchers, UMG and Sky pack rifles; Rs 15,000 for AK-47, AK-56, AK-74 assault rifles; Rs 3,000 for 303 bore rifles, pistols and revolvers. This cash compensation is in addition to the amount fixed for surrender and rehabilitation. Furthermore, education up to matriculation level will be provided free of cost to two of the criminal's children.

In all, a criminal who surrenders will get benefits up to Rs 2 lakh, of which 25 per cent will be given by the government while the remaining 75 per cent will be given as loan.

That's not all. Special courts will be set up, if required, for quick disposal of cases pending in various courts against the criminals.

So, there isn't a better time than the present for Bihar's criminals to turn over new leaves.

First Published: Mar 20, 2006 01:51 IST