Women’s commission begins probe into BHU violence, molestation | lucknow | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 24, 2018-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Women’s commission begins probe into BHU violence, molestation

NCW member Rekha Sharma was firm on questioning university’s vice-chancellor G C Tripathi, saying if he doesn’t appear before the panel, he would be summoned.

lucknow Updated: Oct 05, 2017 18:52 IST
Sudhir Kumar
Acting chairperson of National Commission for Women (NCW) Rekha Sharma arrives at Banaras Hindu University (BHU) in Varanasi on Thursday.
Acting chairperson of National Commission for Women (NCW) Rekha Sharma arrives at Banaras Hindu University (BHU) in Varanasi on Thursday.(PTI)

The National Commission for Women (NCW) began a probe on Thursday into the September 23 baton-charge on protesting women students of Banaras Hindu University (BHU) who were demanding action in an alleged sexual harassment case that happened on the campus on September 21.

NCW member Rekha Sharma recorded statements of several students and professors, including two girl students and professor Pratima Gond who sustained injuries during the baton-charge, besides chief proctor Royana Singh at the LD guest house.

Sharma, who is in Varanasi along with two legal experts, said she would question the university vice-chancellor Girish Chandra Tripathi, who is currently on indefinite leave, about the cases.

“I am here for two days. But if he doesn’t appear before the commission, I will summon him (to Delhi),” Sharma, who also holds the additional charge of NCW chairperson, told HT.

Sharma also visited the spot where the girl was allegedly sexually harassed and met the inmates of the Triveni Hostel.

Senior superintendent of police RK Bhardwaj apprised the NCW of the progress of the probe into the case of violence. He also briefed her about the investigation carried out so far into the alleged sexual harassment.

The acting NCW chairperson condemned the controversial statements by Tripathi on the baton-charge.

Earlier, police had registered a case against 1,000 unidentified students in connection with the incident before handing over the probe to the crime branch which served notice to 13 students and seven members of the proctorial board.

A judicial committee headed by a retired judge of the Allahabad high court is also probing the incident.

Several girls, who had sustained injuries in the cane charge, were protesting against the incident of the sexual harassment on the university campus.

The BHU administration lodged a complaint with the police against two unidentified molesters on September 22.